My new 10x12 coop build unveiled!!

I have seen suggestions ranging from a nesting box for every 3-6 birds, but every one! Nope, sorry. This box I got is rated for 20 birds.
I have 6 nest boxes for 10 pullets (only 6 laying so far) and 4 of them are used, and often there are a couple of girls laying at the same time. They can and will wait in line for their favorite box but I'm not sure one box is enough. You don't want them running out of time while waiting or worse, laying in a bad spot and even worse, losing eggs to egg eaters.

I have 6 nest boxes for 10 pullets (only 6 laying so far) and 4 of them are used, and often there are a couple of girls laying at the same time. They can and will wait in line for their favorite box but I'm not sure one box is enough. You don't want them running out of time while waiting or worse, laying in a bad spot and even worse, losing eggs to egg eaters.
I totally agree. This box is 24 inches long, and is a community box. 2-3 girls can go in there at a time, like they tend to do in the favorite box anyway!

It does look nice and functional.

Personally not a food & water in the coop person because of the attraction of critters coming into the coop when it's closed up, but to each their own. It does look nice and functional.
Thank you!!
I prefer outside also. I am just doing this for winter because they may have to stay in the coop for extended periods of time. Come spring, feed goes outside. Appreciate the feedback!

It looks great @Tre3hugger. My neighbor has a large tree branch for a roost in their run and the birds love it. I prefer 2 x 4’s, but if it is thick enough to support multiple birds and they like it then that’s all that matters. I got frost this morning, did you?
Thanks a lot! And yep, frosty morn. First fire in the woodstove can't be far off!

I think it all looks pretty great!
Might be tight for 30 birds, unless I missed the run info.

I left the two gables open for ventilation up high, and added one window to the door.
Finally someone came up with a decent vent for a gambrel roof!!
Kudos!

Also I plan to get a heated water base in the next month or two, plugged into a thermocube on an extension cord. That should keep the water thawed but just in case I made a couple of the waterers so I can rotate out as needed.
Probably want to heat this inside rather than underneath.
Aquarium or a stock tank heater like @blackdog043 (and others) use.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

I think it all looks pretty great!
Might be tight for 30 birds, unless I missed the run info.

Finally someone came up with a decent vent for a gambrel roof!!
Kudos!

Probably want to heat this inside rather than underneath.
Aquarium or a stock tank heater like @blackdog043 (and others) use.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/
Im really glad you like it @aart ! Heating inside the water probably is the way to go. Thank you for the tip. I am hoping the 4 sq ft of space each in the coop and about 20 sq ft of space each in the run will be enough. I can always add more electric net for a bigger run, and most likely will as time goes on. How big would you have gone for 30 birds?

Back
Top Bottom