My new 10x12 coop build unveiled!!

Very nice.but,needs flat 2x4 or I used 1x5 padded,for hens comfort and importantly ,warmth if not using heat.This was proven best.Also,18" is the top height they should be jumping.Then 15" for nests.
They do not perch like birds,but choose wide flat surfaces everytime,when given the choice.

Very nice.but,needs flat 2x4 or I used 1x5 padded,for hens comfort and importantly ,warmth if not using heat.This was proven best.Also,18" is the top height they should be jumping.Then 15" for nests.
They do not perch like birds,but choose wide flat surfaces everytime,when given the choice.
Nah.....not everyone keeps birds like you do.
I heat and air condition avidly,for many years.They lay many more eggs and do not get sick.Power has gone out,been fine.In summer air is on but some open air let in as well.
Winter fully closed,heavily insulated ,styrofoam ,completely enclosed.on roof sides.You don't want them to eat any.I use 2 cozy heaters in each smal, coop.i have 3 . They also keep humidity very low.mine are swept cleaned daily so no wet bedding anyway.
I turn heat on when coop is in low 40s,but just one unit on low.I check temperature through a window,I use 2 thermometers for safety,not over 82 in summer,and not under 40 are my perimeters.Heaters work to below zero,with no wind.15 degrees very windy.If it is 30-41 below zero,which I get,they come in an indoor back room.I am in NW Il.Many people I know have hens covered with black feet,and damage on head,from frostbite,in spring,bragging they have tough chickens.
Right...
I love all my animals,my chickens lives matter.Theyre comfort and happiness matter.They work hard laying eggs.I return the favor.I don't eat them.Hope they have longevity,as well.
I am in charge of the little world they have.I am they're forever home .

Appreciate the suggestions, but just....no.

Too much pampering and our tough New England birds woud lose their edge. I don't turn on the AC in my house unless it's 85F. It's usually much cooler in the coop and run. And who needs heat when you're wearing a down coat. Just MHO!
Pretty much sums it up. Hey, to each their own. I have no desire/resources to do it that way. It just irks me when someone says the birds "need" it this way or that. Well, lots of us are living proof that just isn't so!

I have been working on this shed for a couple months and finally finished it last week! So this past week I have been doing the fun part, designing the inside. This is what I came up with.

Inside view from human door

View attachment 2342678
Exterior: I went with a gambrel roof barn style shed with an 80 sq ft storage loft. This is to house my laying flock of 9 hens, 20 pullets yet to lay, and 2 roosters.
View attachment 2342665
I left the two gables open for ventilation up high, and added one window to the door.
View attachment 2342667
For bedding i used about 2/3 pine shavings, 1/3 pine straw and leaves and stuff I gathered from around my property. Hopefully this makes the litter a bit more ready to compost in the spring. For my main roost I sourced two large branches from my woods. They are 12 inches apart at their closest and 12 inches from the back wall. They are about 3 1/2 ft off the ground. I added a 2x4 flat side up a little lower for a step up, and an option for my larger birds.

View attachment 2342671
You can also see the nest box in that picture. It is the HenGear medium rollaway reversible nest box. I only have 10 girls laying right now so I wanted to see if they like ti before I dropped the dough on another one. I will add another one if they like it before spring. The bottom of the box is 18in off the ground so as not to take up floor space.

For feed I went with two 17.5 lb capacity hangers. Filled up that is about 3-4 days of food. I made some nipple waterers out of buckets that my birds are currently acclimating to.
View attachment 2342672
The ladder will be removed once the door is added.
View attachment 2342674
All that is left to do is cut in the door, and add the birds! This has been a huge undertaking for me and I am proud and excited with the outcome. Hope the birds will be too!

Tips and observations welcome. Thanks for looking!

Lucky Chickens!! It's beautiful
I now want another one!

Pretty much sums it up. Hey, to each their own. I have no desire/resources to do it that way. It just irks me when someone says the birds "need" it this way or that. Well, lots of us are living proof that just isn't so!
I hear ya! And if my roosting "bars" were too comfy, I might be inclined to spending way too much time in there.

Your coop looks great - I would add a few more big windows so the chickens have a lot of light in there. In fact, removable glass for the summer. Of course the windows need to be covered with at least 1/2" hardware cloth. That way, when they are inside, the air is like they are outside and yet they are protected.

Your coop looks great - I would add a few more big windows so the chickens have a lot of light in there. In fact, removable glass for the summer. Of course the windows need to be covered with at least 1/2" hardware cloth. That way, when they are inside, the air is like they are outside and yet they are protected.
Not a bad idea. Thanks!! I plan to add some solar shed lights before winter hits, but they won't be on all the time. Another window or two would really brighten it up!

Back
Top Bottom