My new and first Coop Build..

So i have been thinking about an automatic waterer. I have leftover some mini floats from my saltwater tank days.. they are used to auto fill water in the tanks.. I have about 5-6 left and they worked great for the tanks. So I thought why not use them for filling up water in the coop! I am working on a design for the bowl itself.. this is where I need some input from you guys... I'm thinking of something like narrow and long and off the floor. Almost like a Spackle bucket ( you know like the red or yellow rectangle ones that they use to hold wall spackle in them) And attaching the float on its side and when it goes low it will automatically fill up again.. Here is my question. Is it bad to have the water exposed? will it dirty fast? I have seem many using those little water drippers..

And what about feeders? does anyone have any idea of what works best for you? and will you share your ideas?

This is the mini float i was thinking of...
89216_cimg1128.jpg

Great looking design, my only concern would be OSB for a floor. I did roofing for 17 years and have had a lot of contact with OSB, it's a great product until it gets wet and or weathered. Maybe some treated 3/4 plywood would have been a better choice. Anyway, looks awsome!

Quote:
hmmmm. now you got me thinking....I was assuming by me adding a linolium floor i would avoid that problem....

Quote:
I was looking at some pvc feeder designs today... We've got a bunch left over from when we built our house, all we would need would be the joints/connetors. I'd been thinking about floats too. where do you get that type and what kind of costs on them?

for an automatic waterer, maybe use pvc, cut holes or slot lengthwise in the top and put the float at one end?

I've seen people mention putting it above the level of their backs or even high enough that they have to reach for it, so that may be an option too?

if it's mounted against a wall then they wouldn't be likely to perch on it either.

personally though, if you're using a float, i'd keep the waterer as small as possible for easier cleaning when it does get dirty. maybe use a short piece (2' or less) of 4" or 6" pipe, with holes cut along the top for them to drink. about 12" of drinking space plus whatever the float requires would probably do for the few birds you're planning.

I'm not going to create a new image to show what i'm thinking, but here's the idea i posted about the pvc automatic waterer. for the float just use the horizontal part of the one on the right... you get the idea (i hope).

88409_pvc_water.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the completed coop. 8) you've got my hubby contemplating our next coop now.

Karen - k.i.forgot

Quote:
I was looking at some pvc feeder designs today... We've got a bunch left over from when we built our house, all we would need would be the joints/connetors. I'd been thinking about floats too. where do you get that type and what kind of costs on them?

for an automatic waterer, maybe use pvc, cut holes or slot lengthwise in the top and put the float at one end?

I've seen people mention putting it above the level of their backs or even high enough that they have to reach for it, so that may be an option too?

if it's mounted against a wall then they wouldn't be likely to perch on it either.

personally though, if you're using a float, i'd keep the waterer as small as possible for easier cleaning when it does get dirty. maybe use a short piece (2' or less) of 4" or 6" pipe, with holes cut along the top for them to drink. about 12" of drinking space plus whatever the float requires would probably do for the few birds you're planning.

I'm not going to create a new image to show what i'm thinking, but here's the idea i posted about the pvc automatic waterer. for the float just use the horizontal part of the one on the right... you get the idea (i hope).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/88409_pvc_water.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the completed coop. 8) you've got my hubby contemplating our next coop now.

Karen - k.i.forgot

i acyaully was thinking of the same thing.. I want to install a 2" PVC and cut oblong holes along the top. and perhaps have it connected to a box where the float would be. I just want it to be able to clean it without problems...
those floats i picked up on ebay under aquarium tanks auto fills $6. ea. I may spare a couple if you are interested.. I believe still have about 6 in the garage.. Still new in a box..

Good looking coop! I have 1/2" OSB for my floor and I put a good coat of primer to seal it up (both sides) and laid some left over vinyl tile down so we'll see how it holds up. I think it will be fine. I'm pretty new at this and it's been fun so far. Have a good one.

Back
Top Bottom