My new AUTOMATIC waterer

GordieH

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
West Texas
I will post pics later.

I just completed my first truly automatic poultry waterer. I started out semi-automatic with the poultry water nipple attached to a length of 3/4" PVC. This in turn was connected to a plastic pail. Each morning I would go out and fill up the pail because it would be empty. (I have a few ducks in the coop as well and they like to play with the water nipples)

I just finished installing a toilet tank fill valve inside my bucket. Now I can adjust the water level so that the water doesn't heat up so badly. As long as I keep the hose in the shade, that is. I also installed a back-flow preventer so The water doesn't flow back into the hose when I shut off the water for anything. Just need to put some teflon tape around one of the fittings as it dribbles slowly. Also need to put some silicone around a couple of my water nipples. Now I am wondering if I can find some of the square PVC tubing I saw advertised online the other day. Either that or use some 1" PVC tubing instead of the 3/4". The nipples should fit better and less likely to leak. Also thinking of putting a PVC drip tray under the nipples since the ducks like to play with the nipples and keep the ground wet underneath. Not a problem so much in the 100* F, no rain since April weather we are experiencing here in TX. But that may end today. We are expecting a 30% chance of rain this evening.

Here are the pics.

99442_waterer_inside_view.jpg

Inside Toilet fill valve

99442_automatic_waterer_outside_view.jpg

Outside view of the plastic bucket and drain valve. Reuse, Recycle, Reduce.

99442_automatic_waterer_fill_valve_underneath_view.jpg

Underneath view of the fill valve assembly

Last edited:
I just need to convince my ducks not to play with the water nipples. I have my yard tore up right now doing some gas line work and I can't let them run free as there is a hole in the fence where the old garage used to be. They also like to hog the water nipples by laying underneath them and snap at the chickens on occasion when they want a drink to.

Last edited:
Here is the PVC pipe with the nipples in it. I now have the bucket sitting on some old crates. The handle wasn't strong enough to hold the weight of the water when full. OOPS! And I now have it lower on the fence. I took this pic a while back. The garage is now gone. I am in the last stages of cleaning it up. Got sidetracked by a necessary gas line repair. Someone put the gas line to the house inside the wall of the garage. It sprang a leak when I pushed the wall over. Bigger OOPS!!!

This is also my first bucket I made. Didn't get the PVC couplings tight enough so it leaked. Went to the square bucket above.

99442_semi-automatic_waterer.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really good idea for an automatic waterer! I like the idea of using the bucket with a fill valve as the reservoir feeding into the PVC pipe! I have the bucket with the valve, but installed the nipples in the bottom of the bucket. I like your idea better!

About that wild bird feeder hanging by your run...be careful with that. Wild birds carry bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can be transmitted to your poultry with bad consequences.

Thank you for the heads up on the bird feeder. That thing has been hanging there all summer long and that is the amount eaten since I put it up. Even before I had my poultry. But I will probably move it.

Back
Top Bottom