My new babies

fishinchicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
SWVA
Well, I successfully incubated and hatched 3 new Silkie babies with my 2nd graders. They hatched yesterday and last night. We got really lucky and the kids got to watch 2 from pip to Fuzzy butt! It was sooooo exciting and we didn't get anything but reading and chickens accomplished! I did get lots of "I love you Mrs. Shortt" and "You are the best teacher" comments! Oh well...these are memories for these kids and I plan to do it again as soon as I gather more eggs.

54807_new_babies.jpg

jumpy.gif
:ya

I have a sizzle hen setting right now...she took over a nest that another hen was trying to set. I moved her and the eggs on Sunday to the basement to give her some peace and let her do her thing. We are roughly 7-10 days in and I candled a few...they all seem to be in different stages so IDK when they will start to hatch. Trying to be patient and let nature take its course. I know I won't get all of the eggs to go all the way so how do I get her to snap out of the broody daze? Will she come to her senses when they begin to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom