My New Babies!

Quote:
I'm in Oregon, and both Wilco and Coastal Farm and Ranch get goslings in the spring. Those at Coastal weren't sexed or breed id'd, so we purchased ours at Wilco. They were about $15 apiece. We brought home 2 Toulouse females and 1 African female. A couple days later, I went back and saw that the 1 Toulouse male was still there, and I couldn't leave him. So, we ended up with 4. We sure are happy we gave in and got geese. They're so much fun!

I just bought 3 Pilgrim eggs on E-Bay too. They came from West Virginia in perfect condition - very well packaged. Put them in the Bator on 6/16 with 3 of my Embden goose and Chinese gander's eggs - (she lays but will not set) and so far at day 6 I can tell definitely one Pilgrim egg is developing (eye and veining) but not sure about the other two. Trying to compare to Pete's photos on goose incubation they seem to have oversized yolks like his picture of 4th day candling but I'm too inexperienced to be sure. So if they don't crash and burn at the end of the incubation cycle I may get l Pilgrim and possibly two more of my Embdens which also have signs of veining. Put two of my Embdens in earlier and one hatched May 8th and the other I let go another week over the due date and opened it and found a dead gosling and a lot of yolk sack etc. so it had stopped developing along the line. I did find a lady an hour's drive from us who advertised on Craig'slist and was able to buy 2 female Pilgrims about 2 weeks old and 2 males about 4 weeks old at the beginning of June so am progressing with a little flock The Embden/Chinese cross gosling who hatched May 8th is in a large aviary in my sunroom along with l0 Delaware chicks. He gets really upset if I try to separate him from them. He is eating chick started with them and I pick grass everyday for him. Today for the first time I took him outside on the lawn. He stayed between my feet almost the whole time but eventually began to graze (although not straying far from mama goose) He even followed me to the barn to get a little wash basin for him to swim in and then later back to the house. So looks like I have ONE that will follow me - maybe the others will learn from him. Have to keep them separate so far because the Pilgrims peck him and he goes frantic if parted with his chick buddies. This is going to be fun to see how it plays out.

Quote:
Good luck. I'm sure it was the same vendor I bought my last 3 from, the ones that literally crashed a couple of nights ago when the incubator fell. One had stopped early, but one was all bloody, so I know it was alive when it smashed. #3 didn't smash, but is all sloshing around, so I have no real hope. Going to keep it a few more days, but I think its a fools errand at this point.

Quote:
Hand raised, I don't think they'll be mean with you. Just as with dogs, they are social animals and have a definite hierarchy. You do have to establish in their minds that you're the boss. One of my three, the middle one that is also somewhat timid/fearful, seems to have a mind of his own. For example, I can pick up the other two and they're generally fine with it. He struggles and wants down most of the time. So, I've decided that he gets down when I want him to, not when he wants to --- I used this same approach on my dogs as puppies, just hold them and calm them but let them know they don't call the shots.

It's a definite learning experience.

I think you are right on thinking they need to know who is MaMa Goose....I have a lot of experience training dogs so hopefully I will be able to tackle this new adventure with success!...Hmmmm maybe I need to name them Fido and FiFi!....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom