My new blonde :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by torrelee, Jan 6, 2013.

1. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    I responded to a craigslist ad for 8 month old buff orpingtons Friday, planning to replace one of the hen
    s I lost to my neighbors dog. I only planned on picking up one, figuring that three hens was enough for a single person household. Typical chicken math, it was lucky I brought an extra ten dollars! The guy actually rescued parrots which was cool and had a mixed backyard flock, which made me doubt that the birds were pure BO. Works for me, as I just like yard candy and don't have a rooster of my own. I picked one that actually looks like a buff orpington, and saw one with slate legs and a beard. Of course, she came home with me. I'm a schmuck!
    Wondering if you guys can tell me if looks crossed with an EE, and what she may lay?
    This is Mrs Butterworth on the left, and the bearded wonder on the right. She doesn't have a name yet, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    If she has the beard and slate, then she's probably an EE! What does her comb look like?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like an ee and should lay green or blue eggs since she has a pea comb

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. torrelee

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Thanks for the confirmation! She doesn't have a single comb, but she didn't want to let me close enough to get a good picture. They seem pretty convinced that I'm a scary monster right now. I gave them a little meatloaf and the pulp out of my juicer to try and convince them otherwise and they sat still enough to take those pictures.
    I was curious about the eggs. I think that I read right and that eggs are either white or blue genetically and that brown is a coating applied after the shell is formed? I'm not super up on chicken genetics though, and didn't know if the white egg/brown coat BO gene would trump the green egg EE gene. Or if there was a way to tell by coloring. More reading to do I suppose!

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like it maybe an ee but there are other breeds the a beard and pea combs

6. torrelee

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Oh yes, and my impatient bone is giant. If they're 8 months old, and their waddles and combs are nice and red-ish, they should start laying soon right??!!

7. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

It could be an ee or Faverolles

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it will not be a faverolles

9. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    She looks just like my BO/EE! Mine is very sweet and lays a pale green egg. From the side, yours looks to have a pea comb, but the front-view makes it look more like the modified pea/single of one of my other EEs - who lays a brown egg. Keep trying for a close-up shot, please! I'm curious [​IMG]

10. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Oh, I should also mention (just in case you don't know) that EEs with pea combs will probably lay blue or green eggs, and those with single or single-ish combs probably won't. However, I've learned from this forum that this won't hold true about 5% of of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by