My new bobwhites!

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
Me and my brother had to chance the male around our yard for about a hour the day after we got them
lol.png
he got his wings cut big time that day after we caught him

32404_101_1515.jpg

What all should I do for them to lay and hatch eggs? what should I add? I got em in a wire pen with hay/grass shavings ALOT of em.

I also have them with 6 other Texas A&M quail, will they still lay and stuff even though there with them?

ALSO

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GIVE A QUAIL A HEART ATTTACK??????

I was putting the grass/hay in there pen, I tossed a small handfull in the corner of the pen and right when I did one of the A&M's ran under it and it went all over him, He jumped out of the grass and Litterally FELL OVER! he was breathing I picked him up and stroked his sides trying to get him to snap out of it but he just died within a minute
sad.png

Last edited:
Them Bobs Are Gonna Kill Your Coturnix---- May Take A Few Days Since They Are New To You, But Its Coming.... I'd Put Them In Their Own Pen. As Far As Laying--- They Are Seasonal Layers And Wont Start (usually) Til They're A Year Old. Then They'll Lay Late Spring And Many Times Again In Late Summer. She Wont Produce Near As Many Eggs As You Are Used To If You've Been Dealing With Coturnix. And Yes You Can Upset Them To The Point Of Having A Heart Attack.

Bobs in with I disagree about the Bobs killing the Coturnix.

I know it has happened before to other people but as long as you have enough room for them and entertainment, they should be fine. I have 3 A&Ms and 10 big browns in with 9 Bobs and they all get along just fine. I have a wire spool in there for them to jump on, perches, and a piece of 8 or 10 inch PVC pipe. All of these were just extra things lying around here or accumulated free. For a perch, I used a piece of staris that we cut off of our attic steps since the steps were too long. Add some branches for them to run through and to perch on and they will be fine.

JMHO
Cody!!

idunno.gif

Imma watch em closely then, Ive had them since last saturday and they've been fine, ive even seen them cuddled up with my others. They dont seem all that wild either

32404_101_1710.jpg

Heres some of my A&M's (his face looks funny because he has a crossbeak, but he can eat fine and drink, just gets his face messier)
32404_101_1709.jpg

Quote:
TELL ME CODY, HOW LONG HAS THIS LIVING ARRANGEMENT BEEN GOING ON?

Im not worried about who's Right and who's Not, We're building a pen with seperate parts to keep the breeds seperated (we want to try other quails) So they'll be seperated in a few weeks, but untill then or untill they decide they wanna have a problem with eachother their staying together

Last edited:
Those Bobs Are This Years Hatch--- They're Still Fairly Young. You May Want To Pinion Them, It'll Help You Retain Your Stock. As You Have Found Out Already--- They're Quick Lil Boogers!!

Back
Top Bottom