My new brooder, well almost....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Apr 29, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Dh is building me a new brooder for all these babies, it's going to go into one of those resin sheds we have in our yard after he makes the shed predator proof... brooder is 4'x4', top is going to be one big one and bottom is going to be divided into 2- 2'x4' brooders....here it it so far
    [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Looks great. The only question I have is how are you going to heat it? I only keep one small area in the right temperature range and let the rest cool off as much as 20 to 30 degrees cooler. That way they find their own comfort zone and I don't have to worry about keeping the whole thing the perfect temperature.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I bought 4 ecoglow 20's [​IMG] I also got some battery operated fluorescent lights just in case I can't get it light enough in the shed [​IMG]

4. ChickenThug

ChickenThug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Mabelvale Arkansas
    Very nice lookin. Sorta similar to mine (except mine ain't a 2 story [​IMG] ) But same general idea. You should think about makin it to where you can separate both levels though. I have mine built to where I can slide a piece of plywood between it as well as pull it out to give more room. Just a thought. Great job though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by