My New Chi Puppy!!!!!! Whooo hooo Tharrell!

When I was a kid I had a half Collie/half Pit Bull that looked exactly like Max in color and pattern of white.
That's what first drew me in to want to go look at him.

He is doing so good with his potty manners.

Taryn, do your Chi's potty outside or on pads/in a litterbox?
He will go outside or on pads at this point. I'm not sure which one I want to go with or if I should keep them both as useful traits.
My ex service dog Labrador will go potty on command wherever I tell him, on pads, outside, etc. It's come in handy several times during really bad snow storms and whatnot to be able to tell him to go on such and such paper or whatnot.

I was orignally thinking I wanted a litterbox trained Chi but I have no clue how to train for that...

He loves when you sing to him, especially Relax Max by Dinah Washington LOL It's how he got his name. His whole body wiggles and he gets all silly.

My guys use puppy pads and go outside. I am in Colorado, and obviously we get a fair bit of snow. My guys refuse to go outside if there is even a tiny dusting of snow on the ground. Even when it's just cold sometimes Rocky's feet will actually freeze to the ground. He only weighs 2.5 pounds though. If you are in a snowy climate it is good to give them both options. Now just about 2 weeks or so ago I actually trained everyone to use a litterbox basically out of need. I had a puppy that was still here with us who was about 14-15 weeks old and he was very into shreading puppy pads even though he would also pee on them. To litterbox train them I just stuck the puppy pad in a litterbox and then put just a small amount of litter on top of it. Everyone had trained themselves to potty in the litter by the end of the day. I was shocked! However after he went to his new home last weekend I switched back to the pads because the litter tends to be tracked around on their feet.

And as for "deer head" chihuahuas, that is basically a term that people give to chis that are over the breed standard weight of 6 pounds, and they have a long nose, non domed head, and long legs. They aren't a true breed type, but sometimes people who have small kids that don't want to risk a 3 pound dog getting hurt might want a dog more like this. The taco bell dog was a so called deer head chi. What's bad is when breeders say they have a "rare" deer head chi because all they are are dogs that don't adheer to the standard. Some people like I said before don't like the look of the "apple head" chi with the big head, short nose, and cobby body. They do however want the as you put it super velcro dog, and the chi personality so that is a better choice for them. Hope that kind of makes since!

Max's Mom was 7 pounds, and Dad was 5. The breeder said she had charted the male pups growth and it was pointing them at 6-7 pounds. Which still to me with one Lab that is 110 pounds and one Newfie who is around 180 pounds, 7 pounds is still TINY. I do also have a toddler, so I think he'll work out just fine. If I really get into them and want another one down the road I will go with a more reptuable breeder and wait until my kids are older so I don't have to worry about a super tiny puppy.
When she told me his dam was 7 pounds you could have knocked me over with a feather, she didn't look or feel it at all, she was light as air when we picked her up.
She did have long legs proportion wise, and a longer nose, not that domed of a skull. The sire was much nicer what I saw of him and actually had an apple head, and short legs, etc. Now that I think of it, the Dam was the poor quality one of the pair but once I got in there and saw the puppies I was sort of blind to it all.
She certainly had a lovely temperment though.

Any tips on avoiding future behavioral problems with him? I am trying to treat him like a big dog as much as possible but it's tough! I want to just hold him all the time and let him sleep in my bed and all that. I never allow my big dogs on my bed or couch though, they take up too much room!
hmm.png

So far today I have kept him on an umbillical leash with me at all times like I do with all of my new puppies.
I am going to socialize the crud out of him because I hear that can be a problem down the road with these guys.
Should I even attempt crate training with him or do Chi's not take to it well?

If you give me his weight I can tell you how much he will most likely weigh. And as for crate training, ALL my dogs, not just my chis love their crate! I say "go kennel" and they all go run and lay down. It's also good to have a real small crate for him so that he can get away from the big dogs if he wants. To avoid all behavioral problems, just don't treat him like a toy, or a baby. He is a dog. So many people forget that even small dogs are just that, dogs. My parents have and evil yorkie that they treat like a baby. He is horrible! My guys sleep in my bed, that's ok. Just make sure that when you say off they get off. Make sure they know that you are in charge, not them. The umbillical leash is perfect. I'm training a service dog right now and I have her on one all day. And as for collars, I buy cat collars. They are the only ones I can find that fit. And for my two smallest, I don't even have them wear them because they come off, and their tags dangle down by their feet. I just make sure everyone's micro chip info is utd, and I have all their rabies and license info on hand just in case it needs to be presented. You can also buy tennis balls for cats at petsmart, they are perfect for the little guys. I have never been able to find sweaters that fit the 2-3 pounders. The ones that are a little larger it's easier to find stuff for them. I usually just sew them a real simple fleece jacket or knit a little sweater. The homemade ones are always better made and last longer anyway.

I also wanted to add to you NEVER EVER leave him outside in the yard alone. Hawks have been know to take chihuahuas and other small dogs. It can be very dangerous!

First thing I would do is have him vet checked for hook worms,
reason: yuo said thre were 8 + dogs, and a horrific smell in the house. hook worms are contracted from not overly clean environments, and with multiple dogs I would want to be on the safe side, not all vets check for hook worms, the assume the breeders place is clean.
just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom