My new chick brooder, got it built really early for March!!

TOP KNOT

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
SHERIDAN IL
I decided to make a large brooder. I thought and thought and this is what I come up with. It has two hinged lids, two lamps that adjust up and down and can be removed and holes can be covered. It is 8 feet long 27 inches deep 18 inches tall. The front can be easily covered if needed, our shop is heated so may not be an issue. I will use pine shavings for bedding and for the first couple of days I will cover the shavings with puppy training pads (those things are great!!) I am so excited to get my new chicks! I am going to add a removable divider down the center if needed.

I love it top knot, going to have hubby make me one. how many chicks you think that will hold? I have 115 coming.

It would probably hold that many for a few weeks. I raised my first batch in a 2'x4' box and had 43 in it for 3 weeks. I then moved them to the ''chick'' house. Which is a 16'x9' lean to on our shed. I put a 6' wire door on it (its covered with plastic right now except for 4'' at the top of door for ventilation) They get to live there until they stop peeping and start having big chicken voices. I then put the hens into the coop and finish the roosters for eating. I have a mixed flock with a speckled sussex roo. I do order chicks from the hatchery also, I have 45 coming in March
big_smile.png
I have heard said on this site the coop is never big enough....how true!! I am building another!!! Looking into a hoop coop for pasture raised birds.

It would probably hold that many for a few weeks. I raised my first batch in a 2'x4' box and had 43 in it for 3 weeks. I then moved them to the ''chick'' house. Which is a 16'x9' lean to on our shed. I put a 6' wire door on it (its covered with plastic right now except for 4'' at the top of door for ventilation) They get to live there until they stop peeping and start having big chicken voices. I then put the hens into the coop and finish the roosters for eating. I have a mixed flock with a speckled sussex roo. I do order chicks from the hatchery also, I have 45 coming in March
big_smile.png
I have heard said on this site the coop is never big enough....how true!! I am building another!!! Looking into a hoop coop for pasture raised birds.
will it hold for 6 weeks you think?
I loved the hoop coop and am talking my head off to hubby... lol want one so bad think it would be awesome, and a lot easier to maintain then my coop I have now. If you get one before I do please post how its working out for ya.
droolin.gif
maybe it will convince hubby... ??? who knows

Back
Top Bottom