My new chicken tractor

gway2008

Songster
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
I have been needing to build a tractor for my 10, 12 week old girls that have grown out of the small pen they are currently in. They are terribly cramped and it is so hot that I just feel like the worst chicken mom in the world! So yesterday I finally decided on what I want and started building it. I did not have a plan, just a vision of what I wanted a huge pile of scrap lumber. I kind of figured the size of everything by what lumber I had. Yesterday it was 106 here and I didn't manage to get much done.
This is all I got finished yesterday..
newchickentractor1.jpg

Keep in mind that I am building this by myself and was in an accident a little over 3 months ago and broke my back in 3 places as well as a rib so I still am not moving too fast, lol.. But, this morning I woke up motivated and got a lot more done.
Here are pics of the progress of today. Finished size will be 6 ft wide by 14 ft total length. The coop part is 6 ft. by 4 ft. The run is 10 ft. long and 6 ft wide.
Got the frame put together
newchickentractor2.jpg

And the walls and roof on
newchickentractor3.jpg

and started the run part of it
newchickentractor5.jpg

I am hoping to finish it maybe tomorrow and get them moved into it. They are going to be so happy!

Thanks everyone.. I have Drs blessings to be doing stuff, lol. Maybe not as much as I have been doing but he told me to do as much as I thought I could handle.
I know my tractor isn't perfect, but I am just loving the way it is turning out. I have some scrap metal sheeting that I think I'm going to put on the roof and am trying to decide what color to paint it. I am kind'a thinking maybe a lavender color? Or a light turquoise maybe?
Who know, I might end up painting it red, lol

The metal roof is a very light tan color so I want something that will look good with it.

big_smile.png

Good job. I think red would look good with the tan roof. Are you going to put wheels on it? It's going to be quite heavy.

Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see your progress.

Making progress! I got the frame finished and the wire on.
newchickencoop13jpg.jpg

And............

Yay!!!!! I got it finished!!!! Not bad for a coop/tractor built in 2 days and only cost me about $50! We had almost everything already just laying around. All I had to buy was some hardware.

Here is a pic of the finished coop/run/tractor... lol

newchickencoop7jpg.jpg

newchickencoop9jpg.jpg

And a shot of my girls... I can't believe how big they are getting!

redstars1jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't seen a coop/tractor in either of those colors, but I think either of them would be awesome! I'm leaning turquoise, personally-- it's one of my favorite colors. Or turquoise with lavender trim would be pretty.

The tractor looks great-- and there's plenty of room to roam with that run. Want to come over and build one for me?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom