My new chicks and new property thread!

Found out that closing for our new property will be on my birthday!!! By far the best birthday present I've ever received!

Found out that closing for our new property will be on my birthday!!! By far the best birthday present I've ever received!

Yay!!! Happy birthday!
ya.gif

The black guy in the background is looking like a cockrel to me... what do you think?

Everybody enjoyed some honey dew melon

The mostly white girl is so sweet, feminine and I like her type. I hope she comes into better mottling or she may end up a fancy table egg layer and pet instead of a breeder...

The black guy in the background is looking like a cockrel to me... what do you think?

The mostly white girl is so sweet, feminine and I like her type. I hope she comes into better mottling or she may end up a fancy table egg layer and pet instead of a breeder...
They are looking good!

The chick in the top picture does look like a boy--pink wattles and a reddish comb.

They are looking good!

The chick in the top picture does look like a boy--pink wattles and a reddish comb.

That's what I thought and he also has a pair of gals he pals around with and protects. I thought I had 3 boys from the get-go but as they mature I am more and more convinced. Two of the boys are mostly white, they fight a lot and are skinny, lanky, frail. This mostly black boy is mellow, gentle, avoids the drama and has better type. I think he will be my breeder and I might get a black roo to accompany him at some point and improve type... thanks for the input!

Yeah, I agree that the black chick in the back looks like a cockerel. =)
My chickens get watermelon in the summer; they go bananas over it. lol
She looks pretty. Eggs taste great no matter what color the feathers are. ;-)

Yeah, I agree that the black chick in the back looks like a cockerel. =)
My chickens get watermelon in the summer; they go bananas over it. lol
She looks pretty.  Eggs taste great no matter what color the feathers are. ;-)

Right? I need table eggs too so either way she's a keeper and with that long back I think she will make a proficient layer! I just went out to feed snacks and I think I might have 4 boys out there. The pirate chick is getting a comb and wattles. I guess Jack Sparrow is a good name for him. We wanted a piratey theme for his name as he looks like he has an eye patch lol

Right? I need table eggs too so either way she's a keeper and with that long back I think she will make a proficient layer! I just went out to feed snacks and I think I might have 4 boys out there. The pirate chick is getting a comb and wattles. I guess Jack Sparrow is a good name for him. We wanted a piratey theme for his name as he looks like he has an eye patch lol

Yeah. I didn't know that a long back means a hen will make a proficient layer. ya learn something new every day. =)
What do you plan to do w/ the extra males?
Yeah, I like that name. =)

Yeah.  I didn't know that a long back means a hen will make a proficient layer.  ya learn something new every day. =)
What do you plan to do w/ the extra males?
Yeah, I like that name.  =)

I read it somewhere and it seems to ring true. My hens with longer backs lay more often and when you compare the short backed english orpingtons to the American birds with longer top lines it tends to be true. I also take into consideration the better laying breeds and they all tend to be longer bodied... it is just my theory but seems to improve my breeding programs when I stick to it so I believe it's true!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom