My new coop, built by yours truly, with pictures!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aank4, Apr 24, 2009.

1. aank4

aank4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    I am new to chickens, and have been raising 4 pullet chicks since the end of February. They are so sweet and fun! I've built a coop for them (the run is still in progress, but will be attached to the side opposite the nest box, and will be built to match the coop - the run will be done in a week or two). I adapted a 4 x 4 playhouse kit to my needs. I built an external nest box, and installed the roofing. I also insulated with styrofoam panels, and put 1/8 inch paneling over the styrofoam to keep the hens from trying to eat it. I've been leaving the upper windows open (with hardware cloth, of course) for ventilation up high; there is also a small gap at the eaves which helps with ventilation. Two of the large windows that are lower have plexiglass over the hardware cloth, held in with mirror clips so I can slide the plexiglass out to allow for additional cross-ventilation on hot days. The girls have been in their new home for a day now, and they're loving it! Let me know what you think (I've included a few extra pics of my girls, too!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    OOOOO I LOVEE IT!! & the pic w/ all of em lookin at you!! [​IMG]

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I absolutely love it! Very cute. Be sure to show us pictures when the run is added.

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    veryyyy nice [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. Pamjay

Pamjay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    LOVE IT! Your birds are beautiful, too!

6. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008