my new coop, first time chicken keeper

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kingair, Jul 9, 2011.

1. kingair

kingair New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Well, my first post here. I've been lurking for a long time, studying what other have done. The above coop is what I came up with for my little flock of 6 hens. Check out my gallery for some of the construction photos. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Specifically I'm wondering about the roost, they seem to like it so far. Also ventilation, what do you think? We live in southern UT and I recon it won't get under 100 during the day till the end of August. The hen house part never seems to be hotter than ambient so ventilation must not be too bad. The gallery has a lot of photos. We need to get rid many of the pictures but scroll through, the coop pictures start midway. Thanks for looking!
    gallery

2. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Very nice coop, they should be fine.

3. TommyTurkey

TommyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    NW Ohio
    that is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!...[​IMG]

4. Southernsilkies

Southernsilkies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    This coop is beautiful!! I'm sure any chickens will be very happy to live there...

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful coop you built and I love the link with all the great pics!! I would recommend poop boards under the perch. Just do shelf brackets along the wall behind the perch and lay either plastic boot trays or wood planks on top to catch the poo. You save lots on shavings and hardly any mess on the floor.

6. ManDash

ManDash Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    puts mine to shame... Will they be able to free range during the day or will they be contained?

7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Great coop and nice little flock too. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Love the coop. Great job. [​IMG] and also:welcome

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  9. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    What is the foot print of your coop? I live in Northern Utah, so not quite as hot and a lot more snow, but I like the design.

10. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Very well done. You clearly have more construction skills than I. Ventilation is hard, but 1 SF per bird is good. I did a 6 inch by 6 foot run with a 5x12 vent near the floor to provide air movement. It still is slightly higher temp then outside when closed up. Again, ventilation is hard. With your 100 degree days, you need them out of there and in the shade as much as possible.

Well done and enjoy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by