my new coop, first time chicken keeper

kingair

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
IMG_1134.JPG

Well, my first post here. I've been lurking for a long time, studying what other have done. The above coop is what I came up with for my little flock of 6 hens. Check out my gallery for some of the construction photos. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Specifically I'm wondering about the roost, they seem to like it so far. Also ventilation, what do you think? We live in southern UT and I recon it won't get under 100 during the day till the end of August. The hen house part never seems to be hotter than ambient so ventilation must not be too bad. The gallery has a lot of photos. We need to get rid many of the pictures but scroll through, the coop pictures start midway. Thanks for looking!
gallery

Wonderful coop you built and I love the link with all the great pics!! I would recommend poop boards under the perch. Just do shelf brackets along the wall behind the perch and lay either plastic boot trays or wood planks on top to catch the poo. You save lots on shavings and hardly any mess on the floor.

Very well done. You clearly have more construction skills than I. Ventilation is hard, but 1 SF per bird is good. I did a 6 inch by 6 foot run with a 5x12 vent near the floor to provide air movement. It still is slightly higher temp then outside when closed up. Again, ventilation is hard. With your 100 degree days, you need them out of there and in the shade as much as possible.

Well done and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom