MY NEW COOP IS FINALLY DONE!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Brian, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    It's done! It's done! It's done!

This is my shed/coop. It is comprised to two rectangles.The shed portion is where you enter, and it is a 6x8' room. From the shed, you can enter the coop portion, which is caged off. The coop is 8x10' in size. The ceilings are vaulted and there are a total of 6 windows, four of which open for ventilation. I have 6 laying boxes and tiered roosting boards. Note that the top of the laying boxes is slanted to make roosting (defecating) impossible. I will get chicks in the Spring (Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Buff Orpington, and a few others).

The siding of the structure is full-thickness 1" sugar pine, which was locally milled for me. I built this puppy to last. I had fun with this project, from design to completion of the construction (though I didn't like working in the cold). Still, it is now done, and I'm ready for chicks in late February! If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at [email protected], as I don't tend to check my messages on this message board.

[​IMG]
    Brian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That is awesome!!!!!!!! I will have to show my husband in case he gets the need to build something [​IMG]

3. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    That's fantastic! I think you just built my dream coop. When did you say you were going to deliver it? [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

All I have to add is......WHERE IS MINE!?? GREAT JOB!! [​IMG] You will have some very happy chickens in there. [​IMG]

5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    that is a really nice coop, excellent job constructing it

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

7. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    That is so nice.. Is it insulated at all. What is the black on the wall?
    You did a great job. I love the idea of the extra room for supplies, etc!!

Jacie

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is awesome! Beautiful work!!!! My only suggestion (which you didn't ask for, I know) would be to turn the 2x4's for the roost broadside so it's more comfy for their feet and they can cover their feet with their feathers in the winter. That is such a handsome building-I wish I had made mine where I could store feed and supplies inside. You'll be glad you did that!

9. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Thank you all for all your kind words. Jacie, you asked about the material on the inside walls. That is builders felt, which is really like a tar-based felt paper that is commonly used under siding. It is sturdy stuff--at least the 30lb variety is--and it prevents drafts and keeps any wind-driven rain from penetrating inside. It keeps the bones of the building safe and dry. Since I am getting cold-hardy breeds, I should not need to insulate at all. If I change my mind, I could always add fiberglass batting and then put plywood over that (or maybe more felt).
    Brian

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    wow....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by