MY NEW COOP IS FINALLY DONE!

Brian

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Jacksonville, ORegon
It's done! It's done! It's done!

This is my shed/coop. It is comprised to two rectangles.The shed portion is where you enter, and it is a 6x8' room. From the shed, you can enter the coop portion, which is caged off. The coop is 8x10' in size. The ceilings are vaulted and there are a total of 6 windows, four of which open for ventilation. I have 6 laying boxes and tiered roosting boards. Note that the top of the laying boxes is slanted to make roosting (defecating) impossible. I will get chicks in the Spring (Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Buff Orpington, and a few others).

The siding of the structure is full-thickness 1" sugar pine, which was locally milled for me. I built this puppy to last. I had fun with this project, from design to completion of the construction (though I didn't like working in the cold). Still, it is now done, and I'm ready for chicks in late February! If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at [email protected], as I don't tend to check my messages on this message board.

big_smile.png

Brian

2133436728_7963d9f2e0_m.jpg

S5002453.jpg

S5002460.jpg

S5002462.jpg

S5002458.jpg

S5002457.jpg
big_smile.png

Last edited:
That is so nice.. Is it insulated at all. What is the black on the wall?
You did a great job. I love the idea of the extra room for supplies, etc!!

Jacie

That is awesome! Beautiful work!!!! My only suggestion (which you didn't ask for, I know) would be to turn the 2x4's for the roost broadside so it's more comfy for their feet and they can cover their feet with their feathers in the winter. That is such a handsome building-I wish I had made mine where I could store feed and supplies inside. You'll be glad you did that!

Thank you all for all your kind words. Jacie, you asked about the material on the inside walls. That is builders felt, which is really like a tar-based felt paper that is commonly used under siding. It is sturdy stuff--at least the 30lb variety is--and it prevents drafts and keeps any wind-driven rain from penetrating inside. It keeps the bones of the building safe and dry. Since I am getting cold-hardy breeds, I should not need to insulate at all. If I change my mind, I could always add fiberglass batting and then put plywood over that (or maybe more felt).
Brian

Back
Top Bottom