Chateau Du Poulet is Almost Done Need Advice

Commish63

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
Edgewood NM 6600 Ft Elevation
This has been a slow process with life and disabilities getting in the way but I am close to being done. I need advice on a few things. First, the entry hole into the nesting boxes, what is a good size? Right now they are 8"X8". I plan on having Easter Eggers and Rhode Island Reds. Second, the roost bars. I have heard a 2X4 on end so the narrow is what the perch on and on the side. I will have two eight foot roost bars about 15 inches apart on the opposite side of the nesting boxes. Third, should the nesting box have a platform for the ladies to stand on while getting in? The dimensions of the coop is roughly 8'X8'X4' not including the rafter area which is a 6/12 pitch.

Here are some pictures. I will post more when done.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Coop.jpg
    Coop.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Entery fully Open.jpg
    Entery fully Open.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Run Entry.jpg
    Run Entry.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Side view with Nest Box.jpg
    Side view with Nest Box.jpg
    930.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Rafters.jpg
    Rafters.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 31
. I have heard a 2X4 on end so the narrow is what the perch on
Make it the opposite so the wide part is the part they are roosting/perching/standing on... Though their toes will grasp the sides some.. chickens don't latch on like small birds do.. when resting they sit on their keel bone and the feet flatten out on either side to support/balance them.

Your set up looks like an amazing start! (similar to Carolina coops style)

You might choose to block those rafters to keep the birds from roosting up there.. it's one of my personal peeves, and so I do recommend it. I think the Carolina coops blocks theirs with wood.. mine are just blocked with chicken wire.

I also prefer to have the interior of coop painted.. Which I know is not what you asked (and also how much work has already gone in, you're SO close).. Hopefully others will chime in.

Those windows look nice for lighting.. but I do wonder about ventilation inside the coop portion as I'm not currently seeing much??

Thank you for sharing and happy adventures! :wee

Make it the opposite so the wide part is the part they are roosting/perching/standing on... Though their toes will grasp the sides some.. chickens don't latch on like small birds do.. when resting they sit on their keel bone and the feet flatten out on either side to support/balance them.

Your set up looks like an amazing start! (similar to Carolina coops style)

You might choose to block those rafters to keep the birds from roosting up there.. it's one of my personal peeves, and so I do recommend it. I think the Carolina coops blocks theirs with wood.. mine are just blocked with chicken wire.

I also prefer to have the interior of coop painted.. Which I know is not what you asked (and also how much work has already gone in, you're SO close).. Hopefully others will chime in.

Those windows look nice for lighting.. but I do wonder about ventilation inside the coop portion as I'm not currently seeing much??

Thank you for sharing and happy adventures! :wee
I did use a picture of a Carolina Coop as a guide when I drew up the plans. There are four 6x15 soffit vents, two on each side and will be installing a solar powered exhaust fan on the run side. We get a lot of wind so I am hopping that this will give proper ventilation without a draft. I plan on painting the inside in white and epoxy coating on the floor for easer cleaning.. I will be using the deep litter method.

Thanks for the insight.

Attachments

• Soffit Vents.jpg
    Soffit Vents.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Nesting Box entry.jpg
    Nesting Box entry.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 22
Fabulous build!

There are four 6x15 soffit vents, two on each side and will be installing a solar powered exhaust fan on the run side. We get a lot of wind so I am hopping that this will give proper ventilation without a draft.
That might not be enough airflow, depending on your climate.
There are ways to dampen/redirect airflow on open soffits.
...and you could add large gable vent on the run side of the coop.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1705612717736.png

Fabulous build!

That might not be enough airflow, depending on your climate.
There are ways to dampen/redirect airflow on open soffits.
...and you could add large gable vent on the run side of the coop.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3728667
I am in Edgewood NM, east of the Sandia Mountain and we are at 6600 FT elevation. Summers are dry and typical temps are high 80s to low 90s for the day and 60s at night. Winters daytime temps vary between 30 to 60 and nights are around 25. Temps drop fast when the sun goes down so does the temp and fast. I can add four more vents in the soffits.

I am in Edgewood NM, east of the Sandia Mountain and we are at 6600 FT elevation. Summers are dry and typical temps are high 80s to low 90s for the day and 60s at night. Winters daytime temps vary between 30 to 60 and nights are around 25. Temps drop fast when the sun goes down so does the temp and fast. I can add four more vents in the soffits.
Just stopping by with a wave from the South Central Mountains of New Mexico! :frow

Use lots of vent space, about 1sq ft per bird.

You don't need an entry into the nesting boxes. Many people just have them on the floor with a lip to keep the straw in, and a board in between each nest box to act as a wall.You want a lip at the bottom to keep the straw in, that's all. So, 8 x 8 is the entry?

The nest boxes should be ok as far as the entrance - how big are the boxes inside? It looks like they're fairly close to the bottom of the coop floor so they don't need anything to land on to get in (but you could just put down a few bricks as steps if needed as well).

You do need more ventilation, the undereave vents right now only provide about 2.5 sq ft. Much better would be doing something like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-heat.1540139/page-2#post-25998208

Not sure how much the roof vents will add but you do have a bit of summer heat to deal with so more would be better.

Thanks to the roofed run you also have the option of opening up the triangle on the coop wall facing into the run for a large amount of ventilation that'll be protected by the existing roof.

You don't need an entry into the nesting boxes. Many people just have them on the floor with a lip to keep the straw in, and a board in between each nest box to act as a wall.You want a lip at the bottom to keep the straw in, that's all. So, 8 x 8 is the entry?
The cut out for each box is 8" X 8". Each box is about 12" wide 14" deep and 14" high with removable dividing walls.

Back
Top Bottom