My new coop plans, looking for some imput.

AllAlaskan

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Alaska, MatSu
Hey all, its been a while since I posted in here, but I am looking to make a new coop. Something a bit smaller and easier to take care of.
I have 13 chickens atm, 12 hens and one rooster. Any way, hope these come out fairly clear.

chickencoopTopViewREVISED.png

ChickenCoopsideviewREVISED.png

O, and also the pic of the coop on the left hand side will be facing the back of the house. Just so if any one is confused on why in one picture the coop is on the right in one pic and on the left in another.

I plan on putting this up against my house to use the awning to keep the snow off in the winter, but I do plan on putting a pitched roof on top this fall to help keep the snow off. But tell me what you think, if you can understand it lol.

So if you all have any imput please let me know, I plan on building this towards the end of April.

Last edited:
Quote:
Looks great. I am in awe
bow.gif
of people who have livestock of any kind in Alaska. My cousin had four horses... Oh My Gawd.

here is a site I found some time back that I really like. You may or may not have seen it before:

http://www.shopthecoop.com/chickens/He.html

Those same heaters can be found on Amazon for much less. Plug them into that thermostatically contollled outlet and Viola. They also have heated hoses and waterers.

Um, you're planning to keep 13 chickens in a 16 square foot coop all winter in Alaska? Did I read that right? And the run is only 14 x 4?

With that kind of stocking density, you'll be very lucky if you don't end up with severe pecking problems, not to mention the fact that keeping up with the manure from such crowded conditions is going to be hard work. Usually, it's recommended not to go less than 4 square feet per chicken indoors, plus 10 square feet per chicken outdoors.

Heating such a small coop is going to be tricky, too. It's recommended to have at least 18 inches of clearance between the heat lamp and all coop surfaces (top, bottom and sides) in order to minimize the danger of fires. In a coop that measures 4' by 4' by 4', you'd have to put the lamp smack dab in the middle of the coop in order to make these clearances, which is hardly practical.

The only heat source I had all winter was a 100watt heat lamp. And atm Im using a 22ft camper trailer that worked to get me buy but would need to be completely redone inside to work best as a coop so I decided it would just be easier to go smaller. I know of people up here who have chickens who use no heat sources at all.

Quote:
Don't forget about ventilation. 13 chickens produce a lot of moisture with their respiration, and if there isn't proper ventilation the humidity in the coop will rise and your birds are much more likely to get frostbite, even with supplemental heat.

Ya, I forgot to include that in the designs. I planned on having air vents but forgot to put them on, I m planning on putting them on the side that faces the house, and the coop will sit about 6 inches away from the house. This way there is less possibility of any drafts but the air can still circulate. I was going to put 4 vents facing the house and 4 facing out, and all will have the option to be full open or fully closed. I was thinking about maybe using just 4 (2 on each side ) vents like what is used in forced air vents on the floors in a lot of homes. I think they are 6x12 inches in size roughly. They would be on the top most part. That way they can be opened or closed from the outside (will be mounted on the outside) and at the highest most point the humidity rising would hopefully flow out well.

Last edited:
If the run is to small that can always be made bigger, but I dont see why the coop needs to be any bigger. I know people who have alot more birds then I do in coops around the size I listed. I know my 13 birds all roost inside the camper on a single roost spot (they have more, but only choose the one) that is no more then 8 feet long. There will be 12 feet of roosting space in the one I listed. Also My neighbor who has chickens has 25 birds in a coop with 9 laying boxes, they only lay in 5.

My biggest concern might be the run in which case I might just use a chain length dog kennel that im using now. But will be more complex to cover.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think as I understand it that the calculation should be in square feet not cubic feet. Four square feed per bird, thats floor space in a coop. The run is actually fifty six square feet.

I also understand yours is a special envoronment, and that maybe conventional rules may not apply.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom