My new coop plans, looking for some imput.

Well we still have snow on the ground, melting quickly though. I would like to start first week of April but Im pretty sure I wont have the money so most likely end of April is when I will start building. How ever I have the cinder blocks all ready so as soon as I can I plan on placing them and getting them perfectly level so as soon as I have the 2x4s for the frame I can start building the frame. Also I was planning on using plywood at first fo the sides but I found out that the local Mill sells its left over wood slats for $50 a bundle, and from what they told me on the phone you need a big trailer or undo the bundle and load it by hand into a (they made this very clear) full size pickup truck with straps. My next door neighbor did his with wood slats and it turned out pretty good. So I talked to him on the phone and he is going to come over and help me when I start building. I am sure I will use plywood for the floor and seal it really well with some sort of wood sealer. Also for the roof I think im going to use plywood, but I think im also going to use corrugated fiberglass over the roof of the coop and run so the snow will slide off well in the winter. The Fiberglass roofing ( Only the coop will have plywood on the roof and thats to help hold heat a little better) will be the last thing to be done and will problubly be the most expensive item for the build.

Im not sure on the door size yet though, Im hoping to pickup some doors off of Craigslist for cheep that I can use. Also Im going to keep my eyes out for some sliding windows. I want to put in one in the southern side and I would like to put one on the east and west sides too but im not sure If I will have enough space to do so, we will see.

I thought I was ganna get some free wood today
sad.png
Some one posted a bunch of used 2x4s for free to pickup but when I called the number both times they never answered or called me back
sad.png
O well.

Well the guy called me back yesterday on the free wood! I got a whole truck load of 2x4s 2x6s and some 2x8s Along with 6 sheets of plywood! He is tearing down another building on his property and will have even more with several more sheets of plywood! So looks like I wont have to buy any wood for this coop
big_smile.png
Also I may have enough when its all said and done to build the coop even bigger then 8x8. But we will see because I do have to build the run too.

Now just have to wait for the snow to melt
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom