My New Duck Pen

Your set up looks fantastic. I love the idea of the pool above the ground. I've been trying to find ways to keep the pen drier and that would work keeping the water outside.

Tia

Put some little jets in the 'pond' and they'll have a jacuzzi.
wink.png
Seriously I have never had ducks in anything like this but I was wondering if you could use a 'j' feeder like they do in small animal cages. That way it wouldn't mess up the inside of the house. You could just hang one or two on the wire. I know they come in different sizes but as far as appealing to the ducks enough so that they learn to eat from them, is a different story.
hmm.png

Well since you have the bei's (and I know they'll hatch) then I'll have to work on getting mandarins and then we could swap when they lay eggs. LOL
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, there is a sink drain attached to the bottom of the mortar tub. This will be attached to a hose for ease of draining and refilling. I don't know if it will mean much to them, but I will have a seperate container of drinking water that they cant get into other than to drink. Hopefully, this will stay relatively clean.

Scott, I'm having a hard time visualizing the sink drain and hose set up. Could you post a close up picture of them installed? I would really appreciate it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for offering design ideas on your web site. The entire site is very informative and useful to those who keep waterfowl.

I couldn't find those darn cooling racks at my local wal-mart. Otherwise, I would have put that suggestion to use as well...

Quote:
Yes, there is a sink drain attached to the bottom of the mortar tub. This will be attached to a hose for ease of draining and refilling. I don't know if it will mean much to them, but I will have a seperate container of drinking water that they cant get into other than to drink. Hopefully, this will stay relatively clean.

Scott, I'm having a hard time visualizing the sink drain and hose set up. Could you post a close up picture of them installed? I would really appreciate it.
big_smile.png

Sure, I've got a photo or two of the sink drain. This is not the mortar tub I am using in my new pen. Instead it is a rubbermaid storage tub that I used when my Calls were still ducklings. It has a drain on it, but no hose or pvc attachments. The new tub will have a hose and on/off nozzle. I'll post photos of that once its done.

pond01.jpg

pond02.jpg

Awesome pen Scott and yours is similar to mine https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=252939&p=1
thumbsup.gif

I use those tuff plastic dog food bowls large size for my ducks so they can scoop up thier feed.
For water i use a milk jug it has holes cut in the side just big enough for them to get their heads in for a drink.
My water is right next to the feed so they can scoop thier food then get a drink.
The jugs are easily rinsed i do mine every morning when i feed.

My pool is one of those tuff cattle water's i hadn't thought of using a morter tub. (probably cheaper too)

Our winters are mild ones and i did more outside wire area than inclosed so they have plenty of flapping and running room.
Mine love to jump out of the pool and run around it's soooo funny to watch
gig.gif

I had even thought of maybe and open area for sunbathing what can i say i love my ducks.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Are your ducks going to stay in the pen or are they going to free range? Just wondering how you coop up your ducks every evening. Y

Back
Top Bottom