1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My New Duck Pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scott, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Thanks. Yours looks really great as well. Your ducks should be happy? What kind do you have?

I have 1 pair of pet quality White calls and 2 pairs of Grey calls which are from show stock.
    I also have 7 young call ducklings my white pair hatched i had them on video swimming not too long ago.
    I'm about to sell those but i'm keeping the little runt she is just too small and cute not to keep.

I love the ideas here on the raised pens it keeps them cleaner and away from predators.
    I hope next spring to have lots of little calls in my new pens [​IMG]

2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I want some Grays. Maybe you can send me some eggs next spring (hint, hint). [​IMG]

I also wouldn't mind a pair of butterscotch calls. Right now, I've got two pairs of white calls and eight BEI eggs on the way (wish me luck).

3. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:(hint hint) will have to see about that right now i'm trying to get them into some permanent housing.
    I would love to have a pair of pastels i think those are so pretty.
    But i'm happy with my 3 pairs i have right now this is all new to me and i'm still learning more everyday.

4. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I'm new to calls as well, but I think they are a blast. Such personalities!

5. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Scott, I'm having a hard time visualizing the sink drain and hose set up. Could you post a close up picture of them installed? I would really appreciate it. [​IMG]

Sure, I've got a photo or two of the sink drain. This is not the mortar tub I am using in my new pen. Instead it is a rubbermaid storage tub that I used when my Calls were still ducklings. It has a drain on it, but no hose or pvc attachments. The new tub will have a hose and on/off nozzle. I'll post photos of that once its done.

http://www.ozarkbantams.com/photos/pond01.jpg

http://www.ozarkbantams.com/photos/pond02.jpg

I guess what I should have said was "I'm having a hard time visualizing the drain with the hose attached." Thanks for the pics but it looks like the drain bottom is still too big to fit a hose coupling. Do you have a pic of the pvc attachments (which I assume is what you are going to attach the hose to the drain with???)

6. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    There is an adapter that makes it work with a hose. The existing drain works with pvc. I dont have a photo with the pvc attached.

7. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    I have read they need water to swallow the feed, so have the waterer about 2 foot away and they run back and forth, but always leave feed in the water which makes it looks like thick baby cereal not water and of course has to be cleaned every day! Maybe I should put the waterer further away? Used to have a feeder beside the pond - they would fill their bills then run for the pond to pump water into their mouths (and out the side!!!!) then back for another mouthful of feed. I am dreading this winter when 4 Pekins and 5 Rouens will be in the henhouse w/ the chickens and making their muddy mess!

8. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I am hoping that keeping them on wire will help with the mess. The feed will be kept in their house, whereas the waterer will be kept a couple feet away outside. We will see how it works. If it were entirely a matter of aesthetics, I would have went with an aviary style (on the ground) duck pen. However, after having these ducks for a few months and seeing how messy they were with water, I decided a raised pen would be best for cleanliness.

9. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Wow, that is a really great pen...and I may have use your ideas for my own messy ducks so I can try to keep their eggs cleaner perhaps. Thanks for sharing this! [​IMG]

10. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Thanks. Feel free to snag any ideas you can from this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by