my new flemish, checker giants and a mini rex(pics)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by therealsilkiechick, Apr 24, 2009.

1. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    here is my new addition to the family!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8 week fawn flemish giant doe, she is my snuggle bunny.

[​IMG]
    castor rex buck, he's spoiled too!

[​IMG]
    checkered giant doe. the night we got her she to our surprize gave birth to a litter of 8. she was bred but breeder thought she false carried since she was late.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

babies!! [​IMG] [​IMG] they were like popcorn popping,lol i had to hold em in my shirt to snag a couple pics and count so i tried to get mom's fur and the hay scent on me so she didn't notice i moved em for a min. mom and babies r all doing great!!!

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh how precious. That flemish doe and the castor buck are gorgeous.

3. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    thank you [​IMG] i love her coloring so i hope to someday find a nice buck hopefully same color for her.

tyrone the rex has a sweety here already her name is ember she is castor to. i have to get an updated pic of her she is 6mths old now but this is ember when she was 8 weeks old. i don't plan to breed them till next year but am excited to see the beautiful babies they will make someday.

[​IMG]

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Are you sure thats a Checkerd Giant Doe? seems rather small for one and her markings are not very good.
    Breeding age Checkerd Giants are close to 14 lbs. have an arched running body.
    looks like a checkered New zeland cross.

This is my Grand Champion Checkered Giant:

[​IMG]

notice she has the puppy doing her grooming LOL.

5. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    that is one of 6- 12" x12" nest boxs behind her and she is half in it. she looks smaller in the pic than she is. she is huge in person i'd say 14-16lbs but i haven't weighed her yet.

the breeder told us she was pure checker. she had others there that looked pure and showed us which where bred to who and who were parents of who. i saw cheeky's parents they looked pure but pet quality due to markings. the only cross i saw was a checker/flemish cross about 6mths old. so i don't know but i bought her at a pet quality price for the kid's for a pet. yes i know her markings r off some of the babies have better markings than her.

not all have arches and same markings if i understood correctly it depends on if it is american or english variety. i'll have to look up new zelands i have never seen the breed. we have been trying to find out more info on checkers but it is all pretty much basic info that keeps repeating. we r curious why there is such a variety in the colors and markings on the babies so the thought did cross our minds mabe she was a cross breed.

ur checker is gorgous!!

6. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    A pet Checker? You're a braver person than I!

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Generally all checkereds have the same markings as the one you see in the photo I posted.
    lack of markings is usually a Sport but markings on a sport are a solid color , white, black blue, those are the only 3 colors checkerds come in in the US.
    Yours is blue.
    they are to have whats called a herring bone down their backs equal spots on each hip butterfly on the nose, eye markings and ear color are to be balanced and equal. beauty mark on each cheek

color anywhere else on the body is a hard fault, skips in the herring bone is a fault.( white breaking color).
    I could talk Checkerds all day long. I love the breed.

and to the person who asked Checkered as a pet, brave person, I have had many as pets , in the house, If you notice my Lasha Apso and the rabbit were best friends.
    Both Pride and Joy were exactly that My Pride and Joy.

Checkered Giants are the most ffeared and abuused rabbit in all the Lagamorph breed. why because someone got bitten a few times due to lack of experience in handling.
    Checkerds need to be handled in different ways than any other rabbit. the longer spine and bone set demand such. IF you pick one up wrong, handle it wrong, OR do not scocialize them well as kits you are going to run into problems with them.
    Every checkered I have run into thats been mean has been mishandled abused or left to grow up with no human scocialization other than feeding watering and showing.

Judges have been rushed to the ER because someone put an unscocialized checkered on the table. rabbit is scared and we all know what a prey animal will do when scared.. yes BITE and bite hard.
    In 10 years I have never ever been bitten by a checkered giant, mini rex yep, netherland dwarf yes, silver fox yes just recently and to the bone.
    If this doe you have has checkered in her whether a cross breed or a full blood , lease be sure to handle her babies, and her a lot.
    do not wait for those babies eyes to open either start now , she wont kill them , she will still feed them. but they need to be handled right now and as many times a day as you can. and yes the babis have way to much color and the wrong pattern to be full blood checkereds.

I didnt mean to hijack your thread but there is a lot of information that can help you along the way
    if you have any more questions please feel free to pm. like I said I love talking checkereds.

8. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    no, no that is perfect that is the info i was looking for. thank you so much!! i'd love to talk bunnies sometime! i appreciate an honest breeder and i very much appreciate you honest post and all info. i have to leave in a few min so i have to keep this short. will pm u later with some questions we have to.
    again thank you so so much!!![​IMG]
    silkie

9. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi guys. I don't mean to hi jack your thread either but seeing as you both like to talk bunnies I thought maybe I could venture a question. I want to get a pet bunny for my kids. I want a BIG bunny yet something east to handle. I thought maybe a Flemish giant, good decision? Also if I just want a pet does it matter if I get a male or female?
    Thanks so much and your bunnies are beautiful!

10. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Lol, I'm stocking you!! I already got that covered--IMO males make much better pets. And for pets, and big rabbits, Flemish giants are a great choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by