My new Fuzzy Butts arrived! Multiple pics

chickensinwasillaAK

Songster
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Wasilla Alaska
Ordered from McMurray, all 75 arrived safe and sound. Just over 36 hours old and none have passed, all seem happy. On arrival I gave them grow gel and am supplementing the water with Sugar and Quick Chick.

This is the home built brooder I have, the extra hanging light is because I'm paranoid and want to make sure there is enough heating space should one light burn out. The legs are adjustable and you can raise it each week to lower the temp. Used it last year with 40 nchicks and one light was enough, I installed to more in the barrel this week because I wasn't sure how much space the 75 would need.
78789_dscf0025.jpg

Then you'd think that they didn't have enough to eat from the way they crowd around this feeder
78789_dscf0027.jpg

Yes, I do have multiple other feeders available to them
78789_dscf0030.jpg

One of the waters, on the back side of the brooder is a 1 gallon but away from the light, they have to come out to the cooler area to get to the food and water.
78789_dscf0023.jpg

Figure this one is an americana
78789_dscf0035.jpg

This one I expect is Buff Orington
78789_dscf0034.jpg

This one I'm not sure about tonight but haven't checked the catalog to cross check from what I ordered.
78789_dscf0037.jpg

There are a few Polish mixed in, some RIR, Black Stars, Red Stars, Wyanottes, White leghorns. Everyone is seemingly having fun, they run around the brooder, zipping all over the place, then run under the light to warm up, then take off again. 93 under the brooder, 70 in the rest of the room. The current area for them in this brooder is 8' by 8', when they get a little larger the barrier will drop and they get 8' x 16'. Get up to 8 weeks or so and they go out to the garden and feast on chickweed.

Chicken math got me, but boy it sure is fun having chickens!

Very cute, would love to see a close up of how you did your light.
How long did it take for your chicks to arrive from McMurray? (Shipped Monday and arrived Wednesday?)

Glad to hear they all arrived safe.

Wow!! 75??? Do you mind if I ask, what you are planning for them? That's a lot of chickens! I'm new to the chicken game....just curious.....kudos on your brooder. It looks very fun, safe and well thought out.

we have a farm and garden. THese will spend the summer in the garden (Protected) eating the chickweek, they love it. Then come fall I'll mix about 40 into my coop and the others will go to friends who also want chickens.

We've got 38 right now, so figure we'll doble the #. Of course, with chicken math things never work as expected, we'll end up keeping all 75 and ordering another batch for my friends.
clap.gif

Okie;

McMurray shipped them Friday at 5pm, they went to Minneapolis and from there on a direct flight to Anchorage. PO called me at 10am on Sunday and said they were here. Got to the airport Post office and walked in the door, I could hear them chirping from way in back.

I'll get a pic of the light tonight when I clean the brooder. It's basically a 55 gallon drum cut lengthwise, adjustable legs welded to the sides, then I drilled 3 holes in the barrel and inserted the lights. These were the simple brooder lights sold at Home Depot, I just took off the reflector hood. The metal barrel reflects the heat down, the chicks love it.
I'll PM the photo to you tonight.

I'm not an expert- but the chick in your last pic looks just like my Black Australorp chicks...
smile.png
Cute babies!! I have 37, and am wanting more... but I don't think I can get any more this year... I'm already planning next spring's order!
wink.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom