My New Hampshire Doesn't Seem to Repel Water off Her Feathers

cheekiechickie

Songster
5 Years
Mar 2, 2015
sw Iowa
Hello, I have 5 hens right now, and this is my first flock. Two white long horns, one red sex-link, one specked hamburg, and my one new hampshire. Everyone seems to be doing fine for this mild winter, but I have noticed that the new hampshire seems to always end up looking, well drowned... I keep bringing her inside to dry her off, but the others who spend just as much time outside, seem to let the water roll right off. Is there something I need to be giving the new hampshire in her diet to help her feathers???

Sounds like you have a nice flock. Does your New Hampshire , always seem wet looking, or just when out in the rain??? Does she dry out on her own if not dried by you??? Post some pix.. We would luv to see them.. Has she recently gone thru a molt ??? Whatever you are feeding your chickens seems to be good for the rest.
idunno.gif

WISHING YOU BEST..
thumbsup.gif

They are about 9mo old and have not molted yet. It ia just on the wet days she gets soaked. Over the summer/fall she would take a day to dry out. After the water froze on her on thanksgiving, I have not let her take the time dry off on her own.
here they all are, trying to go as far as they can without touching the snow.

Does your New Hampshire preen herself as much as the others? Chickens take oils from the preening gland and spread it through their feathers. While they're not going to end up as waterproof as a duck, I would imagine that it helps them somewhat in repelling water. If one hen is preening less than the others, I am not sure there's much you can do about it though.

Must be the breed, I have Rhode Island reds and when it's raining and they're out and about they look wet, whereas the Marans and others looks dry. Recently I'd been giving them black oil sunflower not sure if that will helps.

Thanks guys, she does preen and her feathers are always looking neat. I am not sure if she actually preens less than the others. Silverlining to bringing her into dry off; she does seem to be getting more social.

Back
Top Bottom