My New hen is attacking my younger hen.

Pepsinshirley

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
I am new to chicken keeping, I had a hen and rooster from 2 weeks old but unfortunately had to get rid of the rooster recently due to his loud calling. We managed to relocate him to a good home and he is doing good. I bought a new hen as a companion to my own hen (who is around 17weeks), this new hen is around 20+ weeks and is due to lay anytime we were told. The problem is for 2 days she has been bullying my own younger hen who looks really restless when she gets near her and is refusing to fight back.
Any advice or assurance that this will cease as its driving us mad,,,(feels like a new kid is bullying our own).

I understand completely how you feel! Whenever I have to introduce younger birds into my flock of older birds, I always feel bad for the ones being picked on. However, as long as there isn't any blood, and the picked-on-one can get water and feed, she'll be fine. They just have to work out the pecking order, and once that happens, they will get along considerably better.

Thanks I really appreciate your reply. Its been a tough few days having to get rid of the rooster and then this happening but its good to know it should settle down. Incidentally the new hen is actually very placid and friendly with the kids and has started coming to them for treats and is happy to be handled but just always picks on the young hen,
Once again thanks for your help...I feel we can relax a little now.

I agree, just give them time and let them work it out. Think how hard it would be if a stranger just up and moved into your house!

Thanks for the replies guys both hens seem to be getting along a lot better...the younger just keeps outta the way but she has started getting brave and stealing the odd raisin treat from the older one. The older hen has actually started laying yesterday and again today so fingers crossed its working out ok.
Thanks for the reassurance.

Back
Top Bottom