My new homemade quail waterer....

If you fill it only until the trough is filled, their still going to drink it fast! I had a one gallon waterer in with my 25 quail and they went through that in two to three days! Yesterday my neighbor, well its a greenhouse and farmers market, gave me an old two gallon metal waterer and a mason jar feeder and waterer. They just tore down an old shed and he thought that I had chickens so he gave it to me.

I just put the two gallon waterer in last night so Ill have to see how long it lasts!

Cody!!

Well, why not just use a spring to fasten it at the top filler tube, cap the top, then when empty swing it down and fill it through the access hole with a hose? Or, add a filler cap for that purpose on the opposite side.
Only thing, the access holes have to be above the trickle line!
I use a bigger version for my chickens...

RBar

Quote:

Quote:
Two - three days is a long time for stale water. Water can turn poison after that long. I change out 6 1gal waters a day. I didn't get the bigger ones because it needs changed often. If the water is in a plastic container, out of the heat, & light it may be good for three days.

If you take the elbow and cut it down about 1/2" where the stem goes up, you can get rid of the stem and drop a water bottle onto the elbow, this will keep the water fresh and full each day. I have about the same concept going as you, except i used 1 1/2" pipe with an elbow and i drop a 1 liter bottle in and it easily lasts a day, and thats 15 quail per cage.

Quote:
It wont overflow, once the trough part fills up to the bottom of the water bottle the flow stops, as the quail drink, the bottle trickles water out refilling the trough, basically keeping it at a maximum level. If you are going away for a couple days you could use a 2 liter bottle and just bungee it to the cage like a rabbit water bottle would be be.
100_2152.jpg

100_2151.jpg

We're actually doing something very similar when we build our first quail pen. We're putting the pen in a stall of a run-in shed. We are putting a gutter on the roof then directing the downspout inside the shed and into a barrel which will store water. The auto waterer will be conected to the barrel. ..nice job

eta: I saw where someone said the water would get stale after a few days. ....I didn't think of this. Even if the water is held in a closed system out of sun and weather? The water would enter through the down spout and then through a screen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom