My new Horsey is coming!!! Update: Pictures :)

Lol sounds like fun. This horse im mean even when i had him in cross ties brushing and cleaning him he would slam me into the side of the barn or try to step on my feet. If i was cleaning his feet i had to hav some one watching him and holding him so he didnt nip at me or try to stomp me. I never did i thing to this guy. He hated his owner to but she was actually mean to him. He was my first fall on a horse. We did a jump and were heading back to the side to circle and do it again still in like a half trot/gallop type thing and i turned him left and he wanted to go right but since i was already set up for left he bucked me and down i went lol. Whats your fall off story? I think ponies were my favorite to jump. All you had to do was lay wood on the ground and they would try to jump it
love.gif

Quote:
That is too bad about that horse. I have seen quite a few like that. My old clyde mare was like that too. She was in a miserable state when I got her, hated humans and had given up on live. Took me 4 years to get her back. My fall stories…well, there is fall stories and then there is getting ran over by a Clydesdale mare after falling off, getting kicked in the gut, etc. The last one I was beginning to break an 18HH mare for riding and she took off. I jumped off so that I wouldn’t fall between fence and her hooves and screwed up my ankle. The impact was so intense that I had whiplash. That was 2 years ago. I pushed her too hard. Teaches you patience.

I used to get kicked in the head a lot when I was treating the old mare’s scratches. She had them s bad, the vets were just going to put her down. She was 18 and worthless in their eyes. Not in mine though. So we started on the road to recovery, emotionally and physically. She is now 25 and very healthy. Has never had scratches again. The vets call her a miracle. Her bad temper left the moment she left her previous owners property. Turns out all she was asking for was to get fed and watered regularly. Doesn’t seem that hard to me. Funny enough that lady where she came from has a 17HH Shire mare that likes to turn on people, rear in the stall, bite, kick and everything. Has no pedigree but she keeps breeding her. I cannot begin to imagine what temper these foals grow up with. My lesson learned is that one can do amazing things with horses if you are willing to raise them with a whole bunch of love and patience.

That is very true. Everything takes time and hard work. I use to see the owner come by for this horse. (his name was certs) and she would ask someone to tack him up for her and take him to the arena. She would come out in full gear and crop in hand (this horse never needed a crop. He hated it) and get on him. She would procced to him in in the side with it and kick the c*** out of him. She would jerk all around and do everything he could to throw her off. I think this is why he hated people. I never showed him a crop ever and at least he would let me ride him. He prefered being a train horse though. Wish i could have done more for him. Maybe in like 10 years or so i will have one of my own
lol.png

Quote:
You did the best you could. Take your time when it comes to buying your own horses and get to know the owners. I am finding more and more that if the owners and kind people, their horses usually turn out well too. And a fancy barn doesn’t mean it will be a nice horse either. Seen many cases of abuse at “fancy barns”. I like my mom-and-pop breeders the best.

Yeah i have met plenty of breeders and you can tell right away when they really care. I still have alot to do before i get my own. Starting college next year (if money is finally right this time) and baby on the way in may. So it will be afull year. After that moving to NC and thats when things will really start. Then i will have my horse and my own land and everything else. I have been puting off college for a couple years though and i would really like to get threw that before i move. What breed is the new boy you just bought? What are your plans with him?

Quote:
Kudos to you having it all planned out! Definitely, take care of that baby, college and move first. I am glad I never had my own horse when I was younger for it would have been like an anchor weighing me down and keeping me at one place. Without one I was able to find out what I really wanted in life, found me a gentleman with a farm so I married him, and then I…well then I may have gone a little overboard. But it is so much fun. Ransom is a black Clyde with perfect markings and pedigree. I will raise him to be my farm sire and to breed my females. There’ll be lots of lovin’ going around here in another year or 2
gig.gif
lau.gif

Lol sounds like you had everything planned out as well. If only i was that lucky to find a guy like that! Oh well! I take my fiance into a feed store and point out a saddle and ask "what kind is this?" He looks at me with a blank expression like i am speaking a different language!
lol.png
So i have alot of work to do with him but he does love horses he just knows nothing about them and is a complete city boy! The only reason I am not already in college is because i got a full time reception job right out of high school and have been here ever since just puting it off... Lol. Rasome sounds like a beautiful boy and i cant wait to see pictures. Also sounds like he is going to be a busy boy
wink.png

Quote:
Oh yes, we will be keeping Ransom busy. But first he will have to endure months of snuggle time with his new mommy.
love.gif
Don’t worry about your fiancé being a city boy. When I first met my husband he, I swear to god, had the only barn in the area that had absolutely no animals in it. and 14acres of land too!!! He used to let the neighbors horses graze there for free. So I changed that rapidly and he learned a lot about horses in the past. He travels a lot so he is now my new scout when I find a horse for sale online, he will go and see it on one of his business trips and if it looks good, we’ll go into “deeper” negotiations. Just take your time with whatever you decide to do. I always tell people that nobody can put a gun to your head and force you to buy their horse. If you have the time, land, money and gut feeling go for it, but without either one of those it will only cause stress to you and all the pleasure will be gone. And remember, if you have one horse, you need another one to keep it company. If you take one of the horses for a ride, you need a third horse to keep the 2nd one company…
lau.gif
gig.gif

Lol i like the way you think. So minimum of 3 horses. Im sure he will go for that!
gig.gif
I was thinking 2. I know i am going to have to teach him everything so one for him and one for me. Tell hubby in a few years he might have to scout for me as well
lol.png
I would be willing to drive a decent amout to find my perfect horse. Not even sure what i really want yet. All i know is something i can do jumping again with. Maybe get the fiance a donkey instead
lol.png
Something easy but that matches his thick headedness. Snuggle time is never bad either. Give him lots of treats and spoil him well!!!

Quote:
Oh you betcha we will. Everybody that comes to our farm says that we don’t have horses, we have 1 ton puppy dogs. Everybody out there just loves their snuggles. Nothing like a 300lb or so head looking over your shoulder during chores. I will have to say that I have bought horses sight unseen before and I have flown out twice to a breeder before to look at their horse. The one I bough sight unseen (but with lots of video and pictures) turned our great. The one we looked at twice must have been drugged (vet thinks so too) and started to show signs of past abuse after a few months at our place. We are working on turning her around and she has built a lot of trust. Now we can move forward and desensitize. The moral of the story is, sometimes you just never know what you get even when you think you did all the homework.. A donkey would be nice too. My farrier tells me that donkeys and mules are just so smart, you have to be careful that they don’t outsmart you.

Back
Top Bottom