My new incubator...."bator questions"

Parson's Wife

Blessed Abundantly
15 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
Hi,
Yes, I know...We were going to build one....my husband has had sick calls (everyone has the flu), 2 hospital visits, and then his work in town on some houses (he's a carpenter) plus...oh well...the list is long...I went and bought an incubator.
It is a Little Giant, model 9200 (this is all they had) $50...and it is a still air, with no egg turner.
Now. I have eggs coming this week; My questions are this:
1. What else do I need to hatch....anything?
2. Forced air?
3. Egg turner? Is it safe to open once the eggs are in?
4. Does this have a humidifier with it?
5. Humidifier?
6. More thermometers? Different therm.?
How long do I need this type running before eggs arrive?

Is there anything else I should know or get before they come?
I want to give my eggs the best chance possible.
Thank you...
jumpy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
1. A thermo and Hygro
2. You will survive
3. Hope you are home all day
4. no
5. just put water in the troughs in bottom
6. Yes go get a nice one with a probe and put the probe in a water wiggler.
I always run mine 4 days

Read the pages under the learning section
Good Luck!
What are you hatching?
jumpy.gif

Remeber with the still air the temps have to be slightly higher than a forced air. Someone on here who uses one will be able to tell you where to regulate it too. Keep in an area that the temps are stable and out of drafts. you can put a towel over the top

i have that model running right now.

mine fluctuates a lot. i would say plug the darn thing in, put some baggies with water into the bator and get it up to the right temp as soon as possible. have it running like that for a few days BEFORE your eggs go in. once the eggs go in the temp will probably drop. DON'T make the same mistake i did and start trying to raise the temp because several hours later the temp will be WAY to high! put the eggs in. assure yourself it's okay for the temp to drop and check in a few hours later. only make small temp adjustments SLOWLY.

yes, opening the bator every day to turn the eggs is going to mess with the temp in the LG. try to do it carefully of course, but also don't linger. if you can rig it so that you don't take the entire top off, but rather lift it on one side, etc. i think that will help you to retain the heat more effectively.

regarding the humidity. mine holds water pretty well. i've only had to refill the rings a couple of times. i keep one of the holes plugged and one open.

to be honest it's been a bit of a struggle for me. but this is my first time incubating. i have another, much more automatic bator running along side it and it is so much easier - night and day.

however - i candled last night and i do have viable eggs in both bators so the LG, if you stick with it, will work out. it will just take some close attention on your part.

oh, one more thing. try to keep the temps in your house as stable as possible. the LG is sooooooo sensitive to atmospheric changes! set your thermostat to a temp. you can live with and just leave it there during the hatch - that's my advice!

good luck and keep us posted on your hatch - have fun!

Thank you...I rotate my temps at night...I can leave it the same while I have eggs.
Do you use a hygrometer...My husband is going to pick one up today. Thank you for taking time.
jumpy.gif

:)Oh yes,
What is your success rate for your eggs hatching from your LG?
May I ask what type is your other incubator? And you love it?

Back
Top Bottom