My new layer has stopped laying, any advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jlj, Aug 23, 2010.

1. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    My 20 week old RIR, just started laying last Monday.
    She layed a "squishy" egg first, then on Tues, Wed, & Thur. all great eggs, and has not layed one for 4 days stright.
    Is this normal for new layers?
    My other four 20 week olds have not started laying yet.

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    This is quite normal for first time layers. May go for a week before another egg. Don't worry her laying will become more steady as time goes on.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It's normal.

4. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    It is frustrating though isn't it? I have three girls that have started laying within the last month. Two have been like clockwork every day from day one. My BR seems to take one day off a week and my BO is a machine, I think she's taken 2 days off in a month. However my other BR has layed maybe 3 eggs total. All I can say is she's lucky that she's my favorite little chicken snuggler because her egg laying leaves something to be desired!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's normal. It takes a while for new layers to get the kinks worked out. Maybe she's saving up for a double yolker for you!

6. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    I went to the coop this morning a found a beauty of an egg! and there was also a lighter small egg this afternoon, I was so excited!
    Thank you all for everything!

7. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    This is good to hear. I, too, had a RIR start a couple weeks ago. I got 3 eggs in 5 days then 9 days passed before the next egg. She's been 4 for 4 like clockwork this week AND laying in the INSIDE of the nest box (instead of on the top of the nestbox!) Hoping the other girls get the right idea soon. If my daughter doesn't find one of these eggs soon, we well NEVER hear the end of it! She's either checking the coop too early or waits too long and her brother finds the egg. [​IMG]

8. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    Quote:That is so funny!
    Tell her to look while the boys aren't.
    I am still waiting for my other to lay also. Plus I have 4 15 week cuckoo marans I am waiting on, a little more time for them tho.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I am convinced that simply just talking about a frustration with your birds here solves the problem as the great chicken god in the sky channels the solution directly to your birds.

All hail the great chicken god in the sky!

10. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    Quote:I agree 100%, every time I post a problem the chickens work it out themselves.
    Maybe we are over protective "parents".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by