My new Miss Prissy Chic Cadillac bator (that's a mouthful!) With PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Presenting my new Cadillac Incubator....

Two viewing windows, each double insulated; double decker wire egg shelves; Front viewing window that opens and allows me to turn eggs without lifting the lid and losing a bunch of moisture and temp; heated with a 60 watt bulb and dimmer; computer fan; ventilation holes on each side at top and bottom (I can plug them with corks); clear tubing into water dish from outside that I fill with a syringe.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    COOL !!!!!!

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    That looks really nice. Hope it gives you many good hatches.

Dilly

4. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Where did you get your fan? I am going to make Eric make me one of these on his day off. [​IMG]

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    LOL I need to do this later in the summer it will be my project [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Alison,
    I got two of them off Ebay for about $1.00 each. If you can find and old CPU you can just take one out. You wire it up to a 12 V (very important...won't work on less) adapter.

7. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Quote:Alison,
    I got two of them off Ebay for about $1.00 each. If you can find and old CPU you can just take one out. You wire it up to a 12 V (very important...won't work on less) adapter.

Ooh. I totally forgot that I have an old desktop lying around here that was waiting to meet its maker. Perfect!

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Well, it has been on 24 hours now and I've only made 2-3 tiny adjustments to the dimmer to keep the temp right at 100.

One thing I battled was wild temp swings in my previous Miss Prissy bator. I think it was because I used a plain styrofoam chest...pretty large...and only 1 glass on top. I think the styrofoam used in commercial bators is denser and thicker and can hold temps more steady.

At any rate, here's hoping this one will be a bit more reliable. I have 3 frizzle cochin eggs in it now on day 21 today and have 36 more various eggs in another bator to change over to the new one in a few days.

9. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Wow, its neat looking. Did you use one of those plastic coolers? Good idea! I have the same problem with my styrofoam bator- large temp swings. Of course now, the last few days they have been stable, but I think it's too late- day 23 here. [​IMG]

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I know...I'm so sorry...I've been keeping up with your thread. I responded about opening the eggs. But you might want to wait just one more day.

It's a rubbermaid cooler. Four 8X10 pieces of glass from old frames and 1 5X7 piece...and LOTS of duct tape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by