My new Miss Prissy Chic Cadillac bator (that's a mouthful!) With PICS!

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
Presenting my new Cadillac Incubator....

Two viewing windows, each double insulated; double decker wire egg shelves; Front viewing window that opens and allows me to turn eggs without lifting the lid and losing a bunch of moisture and temp; heated with a 60 watt bulb and dimmer; computer fan; ventilation holes on each side at top and bottom (I can plug them with corks); clear tubing into water dish from outside that I fill with a syringe.

9079_bator_002.jpg
[/img]

9079_bator_003.jpg
[/img]

9079_bator_005.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Alison,
I got two of them off Ebay for about $1.00 each. If you can find and old CPU you can just take one out. You wire it up to a 12 V (very important...won't work on less) adapter.

Ooh. I totally forgot that I have an old desktop lying around here that was waiting to meet its maker. Perfect!

Well, it has been on 24 hours now and I've only made 2-3 tiny adjustments to the dimmer to keep the temp right at 100.

One thing I battled was wild temp swings in my previous Miss Prissy bator. I think it was because I used a plain styrofoam chest...pretty large...and only 1 glass on top. I think the styrofoam used in commercial bators is denser and thicker and can hold temps more steady.

At any rate, here's hoping this one will be a bit more reliable. I have 3 frizzle cochin eggs in it now on day 21 today and have 36 more various eggs in another bator to change over to the new one in a few days.

Wow, its neat looking. Did you use one of those plastic coolers? Good idea! I have the same problem with my styrofoam bator- large temp swings. Of course now, the last few days they have been stable, but I think it's too late- day 23 here.
barnie.gif

I know...I'm so sorry...I've been keeping up with your thread. I responded about opening the eggs. But you might want to wait just one more day.

It's a rubbermaid cooler. Four 8X10 pieces of glass from old frames and 1 5X7 piece...and LOTS of duct tape.

Back
Top Bottom