My new muscovy ducklings!

Pics
Oh, I see. Thanks for that explanation. I was worried that I did something wrong. Any insight on Java Joe nipping and pulling feathers?
Could be similar to chicks kept in a brooder too long. Sometimes they start harassing each other out of boredom and something to do. I would think you will see improvements will daily trips outside, and perhaps some exercise around the yard.

Could be similar to chicks kept in a brooder too long. Sometimes they start harassing each other out of boredom and something to do. I would think you will see improvements will daily trips outside, and perhaps some exercise around the yard.
How do you get them to follow you around and not run off? I am afraid if they are loose, they will run off somewhere and not want to come back to me. lol.

Yes so they are still together but JJ has to mind his manners.

How low are your night time temps?
It looks like they will be in the 40's. Is that ok if they are not fully feathered? Daytime temps are going to be in the 50's or higher.
Lately though the temps have been very cold. 28 was the low today. It will finally be warming up.

Last edited:
How do you get them to follow you around and not run off? I am afraid if they are loose, they will run off somewhere and not want to come back to me. lol.
If they are in a contained area you should be able to round them up and direct them where you want them with some practice. You could put up a temporary fence if necessary with something cheap like welded wire or chicken wire and some smaller fence posts.

What treats are you using? I keep a plastic coffee can full of mealworms all I have to do is bring that can outside and shake it and I have an audience of 40 birds. Start by letting them see what your using to put the treats in then toss some on the ground and begin to slowly walk away but keep tossing a little and saying something to get them motivated. Like snackies or what ever you want. Mine will do a song and dance for meal worms. Best way in the world to get them to do what you want. Just like a puppy when you take them out let them wander a short distance away then say your key word and shake the can and toss.

What treats are you using? I keep a plastic coffee can full of mealworms all I have to do is bring that can outside and shake it and I have an audience of 40 birds. Start by letting them see what your using to put the treats in then toss some on the ground and begin to slowly walk away but keep tossing a little and saying something to get them motivated. Like snackies or what ever you want. Mine will do a song and dance for meal worms. Best way in the world to get them to do what you want. Just like a puppy when you take them out let them wander a short distance away then say your key word and shake the can and toss.
Of course that makes sense! Ha. I do feed them meal worms. I do something similar for my chickens.
Thanks!

I am going to give it a try this weekend when the dogs aren't outside. The ducklings got out in their temp pen for about an hour again tonight. It was all the time we had before dusk started. They started peeping a lot and I figured they wanted to go back because the sun was just starting to go down. Right now to get them back and forth, I am using @oldhenlikesdogs bucket technique.:D

I am going to give it a try this weekend when the dogs aren't outside. The ducklings got out in their temp pen for about an hour again tonight. It was all the time we had before dusk started. They started peeping a lot and I figured they wanted to go back because the sun was just starting to go down. Right now to get them back and forth, I am using @oldhenlikesdogs bucket technique.:D
They must be getting big enough for their heads to stick out the top? The bucket does make it easier.

All that excitement and exercise should help tire out that naughty boy.

Back
Top Bottom