my new open air run. . . Phoenix, AZ

cap1717

6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
34135_img_0001.jpg

Block fence on one side. House wall (with window) on one side, hardware cloth and chicken door on south side, hardware cloth and people door on east side.

I love this coop / run, have the nest boxes under the window, feeder and waterers hanging from the rafters.

If I could do one thing differently, I might add a piece of plywood on the south side near the fence. Had to move the feeder after the first hard rain, as it was soaked. Mostly, our rains come in from the west or northeast, so that should not be a frequent problem. The girls have plenty of room to get out of the weather. In AZ, ventilation and the ability to cool the coop in the summer are more critical elements.

Beautiful!

You have several different options other than the plywood for sheltering the south side from rain. You could put up hooks for a tarp, putting it up and taking it down as needed, or you could put up removable corrugated plastic panels. I've got both setups in my runs and they both work well. The plastic is nice because it doesn't block the light.

Back
Top Bottom