My new pullets from Hoovers (amberlink) and Hoovers/Tractor Supply (Sapphire Gem)

springvalley123

Free Ranging
8 Years
May 22, 2015
Northwest Phoenix area
I ordered 10 Sapphire Gem pullets from Tractor SUpply online on 11/13, hoping I'd make the 11/14 hatch. Well, not, so I emailed customer service, they said I'd get the 11/28 hatch. I replied back that's a bit more than I'm used to, so ordered what I could get (amberlink pullets) direct from Hoovers 11/19 hatch. Surprise!! I got not one but TWO emails saying my chicks had shipped! Yes, the amberlinks direct, and the sapphire gems that TSC said would be 11/28. So, plenty of chicks in the bathtub for now. I'm still in the process of insulating my outdoor brooder--I've got a baby cam and outdoor sensor to inform me of the temperature and to view the chicks once I move them out.

Some pointers:
When the TSC and/or the hatchery email links show a 11/23 delivery from a 11/19 hatch, you can either ignore that or confirm with the hatchery. I called the hatchery and they wouldn't have shipped if they expected that delivery date. I'd previously ordered from Privets in New Mexico (I live north of Phx) and they arrived in two days.

When your package still shows as pending acceptance with USPS, ignore that-- Next thing you know, it's 24 hours post-hatch, and you're getting a text that the birds are in your region's distribution center.

Touch base with your local post office beforehand. Get a feel for their supportiveness. Understand the path that the birds travel, and priority vs express. Ask them to call the number on the package no matter the hour, you'll hop right over and pick up the chirping boxes.

As a backup, have the direct number that rings at your local post office, it's NOT an 800 or 877 number!! If they don't call you by 8-9 am two days after the hatch, ask them for the contact info for the regional DC. A good feed store manager up here, said that the 8 am vs 5 pm Wed for a Mon hatch makes ALL the difference!

Here's two pics of my girls in their temporary home. ALl arrived alive and well, and are drinking and eating. At that point I put down a bit of straw as it resembled the shipping material, and just watched to make sure they didn't try to eat the strands.
11-21-18-2.JPG

Attachments

• 11-21-18-1.JPG
    11-21-18-1.JPG
    620.4 KB · Views: 0
Awww..... that pic makes me reminisce about my little boogers when they were still tiny and cute, but in a blink of an eye they have now grown up to be outta control thugs! *sheds a tear*

I just ordered 10 Salmon Faverolles the same way. They arrived today with two dead inbox, but that still left me 9 due to an extra. A couple aren't looking great but I told myself when I ordered them that I would be happy if six of them made it, considering they had to go all the way to Florida and the weather is quite cold. So far it looks like it's going well!

Today they turned 18 weeks, and there was an egg in the box! 41 grams. Both the Sapphires have a squat reflex, one of them has the redder comb. The ambers, one has a pinkish comb, none are squatting. I only kept two sapphires and 7 ambers, I had to sell what I could to go from 27 to 9, and for some reason had very few takers. So I'm left with the smallest of both breeds.

Back
Top Bottom