My new puppy

Neffchick: Not certain if you have tried this yet or not, but you may want to contact a local Akita rescue organization near you or in your state. The people that work with purebreed rescues know the breed and are usually a wealth of information. I know she is not purebred, but that seems to be her dominant genetic trait. They may help you with either helpful training or rehoming her. Puppies have a greater chance of getting rehomed.

Here are some links for Akita rescues: http://www.akitarescue.com/

http://akitarescue.rescuegroups.org/

http://www.akitaclub.org/rescue/resgroups.html

Quote:
THIS is the problem. She should never have a chance to do it. Until she is trustworthy, you are just sitting her up for failure.

Dogs were bred to retain a lot of puppy traits, that's what makes them good pets. On what better game than a real live interactive toy and flutters and screeches. One time is enough to reinforce the idea that this is the BEST GAME EVER!!

You tell her "leave it' but does she know what that means?? It can take months to train this reliably. I posted a couple links that go into how to teach this. Until she knows, all you are actually saying to her is "no!! blah blah blah. bad!!"

ETA: also, dogs don't generalize the way we do. Just because they know that "sit" means "butt on floor" when they are in the house, you then have to expand the training until they know that it means "butt on floor" no matter where they are. So, if she knows that "leave it" means "don't touch the hotdog I just dropped" doesn't mean that she knows to also stop chasing the birds.

Last edited:
That dog will NEVER be safe to have around poultry. Get rid of it while it is still young enough to make a good dog for another home that doesn't have poultry.

I'd start by putting a fence in-between her and the chickens. I'd put an electric collar on her, and when she went for the chickens I'd correct her with the collar. I would even bait the dog by making the chickens scuffle of make noise on the other side of the fence to get her attention and trigger her prey drive.

After she learns to walk past the chickens without a reaction then try it with her and the chickens in the same yard(one that isn’t as important in case something goes wrong). Just do a lot of research on electric collars. DO NOT let her know it's the collar that zaps her, she has to think it's from the chickens or you have special powers and can correct her from a distance. Just do a lot of research, but electric collars do amazing things in the right hands.

Wow, the Akita web signs was amazing. I did do reading on the bread even though I just figured she would be like my first Akita,and nothing was as informed as that sight. It even makes it very clear not to have birds of any kind. So this is a hard one for me. I have some thinking to do. I know I should find her a new home, but at the same time, my husband loves her, but I would have to do all the training. I am going to call the Akita rescue and see if they know of some good trainers and also talk to them about rehoming her if need be. Right now I will look into all my options and then go from there. Thank you every one. I got a lot of really good feed back. To good actually, I went into this thinking a new home would be my only option, to having some hope if I could not find a good home for her.

I really don't think you need to rehome her..you just have to be vigilent and never let her out when the birds are out. In the morning, my dogs go out...then it's in the kennels with them. The chickens then are allowed to come out of their coop. They free range all day. They are then put up at sundown. At that point, the dogs are let out and brought inside for the night...every day is the same. If the chickens are out, the dogs are in...and vice versa.

The only way the dogs are ever out when the chickens are is if they are on a leash...

I've managed this for 5 months now. Not a problem. But, if you have children, they must know and obey the rules. NO dogs with chickens ever!!!!

It can be managed and you can continue to love your akita mix. If you want, you can pm me with any questions and I will help you any way that I can.

Quote:
Gosh, neffchick, sorry about your chicken loss and your naughty new puppy, but
welcome-byc.gif

I do think you have a lot of thinking to do. You need to take advice from all corners make the right decision for you. Your pup may (or may not--I don't have a crystal ball) turn out to be a really good dog eventually, but is a puppy and still has the teenager period coming up too. Contacting a hands-on expert is a really smart idea.

I guess it comes down to your lifestyle and if the dog will meet your needs in the future. If you got the pup to guard your home from predators then keeping her indoors all the time while the chickens are out means she won't be able to do the job you got her for. If you have decided her job is to be a pet, then fencing in the chickens and keeping her from them at all times (most especially when she is under 2 and still learning) is a good choice for you.

I worked with some Akita folks years ago. One Akita breeder came in with a Cattle Dog one day and I looked at her and asked her what the story was and she replied she was tired of going to shows and worrying if her dog was going to attack another in passing. Another breeder came in with multiple stitches on his arms and shoulders. I asked his story and he said one of his studs broke through the electric fence and attacked another. He couldn't get them apart except to phsically get between them and he got torn up instead (they were show dogs and he didn't want them damaged). I recommended a cattle prod, which seemed to work for him. They can be great dogs, but you will have to remain vigilant with her her whole life. That may be easy or hard for you to do, only you can answer that question.

When you get a puppy they need structure and LOTS of training.
You have to be persistent, alot of dogs have prey drives.
I don't think its fair for you to give your dog away, it doesn't really know better and can't help it.
Puppys are like kids sometimes they need to learn a few times. They won't understand words unless you teach them what the word means.
Don't get me wrong, my dog has also killed my chickens before and its horrible.
You feel torn two ways, they are both your pets and for one pet to kill another is just a terrible thing to have to deal with.
have you tryed having you holding the dog on the leash and having another person hold the chicken near her.
If she goes for the chicken you yank her leash and assertively say leave it. (you probably have tryed this but i will mention it anyway)
If you can't trust your dog when your gone then don't leave here alone with the chickens, i don't if i feel i can't trust them.
If its reaaaallly bad and nothing works it makes me wonder if you should try an E collar.
I have had mixed reviews, there are some that are to strong on the dog and i'd be careful and test it out on yourself first to make sure it isn't strong enough to hurt her.
But, if you use a E collar that vibrates enough to startle her, you can pretend your not paying attention but when you see her go for the chickens click the button and maybe it may get her to stop.
She will then learn every time she goes after them she will get alittle shock/vibration.
Obviously if you are going to try this make sure your chicken will be safe.

I watch the dog whisper when i need help with my dog >_> maybe watch it? I know he did a episode on how to stop your dog from attacking your pet chickens

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with most everyhting you said, foxyproxy, except I really don't like electronic collars in immature dogs so I would advise against it until all other training methods have been exausted and the puppy has grown in to an adult.

Also, many folks look at giving a puppy to a new home as evil. Quite honestly, sometimes a dog and their owner are a bad match and it really is in both the owner and the dogs best interest to get a better personality match. The dog will be happier (provided they do the right thing and find a good home for them not just dump the little guy) and the owner will be happier, too. How many folks get a divorce and it really is better for all parties concerned?

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with most everyhting you said, foxyproxy, except I really don't like electronic collars in immature dogs so I would advise against it until all other training methods have been exausted and the puppy has grown in to an adult.

Also, many folks look at giving a puppy to a new home as evil. Quite honestly, sometimes a dog and their owner are a bad match and it really is in both the owner and the dogs best interest to get a better personality match. The dog will be happier (provided they do the right thing and find a good home for them not just dump the little guy) and the owner will be happier, too. How many folks get a divorce and it really is better for all parties concerned?

I don't mind it being given to a new owner but i have heard to many stories of people getting puppies and not realizing how much work goes into having a puppy.
Then the puppy ends up in a shelter and gets put down...
I'm not saying they would do this but it happens to alot of puppies.
If they have someone already in mind or will look for a loving family for it, i have no problems.

I agree about the E collar.
I normally HATE them but if the situation is bad enough that other animals lives are at stake and you can't control her at all it might be needed.
But i recommend they definitely check it on themselves to make sure it won't hurt the poor dog.
And yes, i would wait till its alittle older to use it if possible, otherwise the puppy may become immune to the vibrations or could become fear aggressive early due to being startled too much.

Before you try the E collar or giving her away i really recommend being very patient with training.
Puppy stage is the best time to train a dog, they are like babies and will absorb more information.
Teaching a dog something doesn't happen over night.
You will need to teach her on a regular basis and get her on a good schedule.

Back
Top Bottom