My new puppy

if you are going to consider using an e-collar, be sure to do so with the help of an EXPERIENCED trainer. It is a tool that requires perfect timing. Giving the stim at the wrong time can make the problem worse. It's not simply a matter of slapping on the collar and hitting the button.

I have reread all the comments and I know exactly what I am going to do. We got her because we wanted all of the traits of an Akita and the size of a Mastiff and Great Dane. We were stupid to not do an extensive amount of research before getting her, but we can not change that. I only wanted to find her a new home before it was to late for her to get a home that would be right for her. I know it is very hard for adult dogs to be rehomed, especially a large breed like her.
With that all said, I have a lot of good advice to put into play now. My husband and I are going to build a large dog run for her. This way when the chickens are out, she not only is unable to kill them but also has lots of space. This is also good so when other children or guests are over, I will not have to worry about her around them. I will exercise her and do some training in the morning before she goes in the dog run and we are also calling a few trainers tomorrow.
I think in the end it will all work out and I will NEVER leave her alone with my chickens out. You have all helped so much and I can not even express how grateful I am.
Thank You

Quote:
Sounds good
big_smile.png

You may want to try and electric line around the chicken coop , you can get kits on ebay rather inexpensively. Once the dog has contact with the wire they normally will not try again. Ruth

Quote:
highly strung/hyper dogs don't do well with this.
Some dogs get so excited they can't feel pain so if they pass the electric fence they will keep getting zapped and could possibly hurt the dog especially if its a puppy.
A real fence would probably work better just make sure the puppy/dog won't be able to dig its way out.

Last edited:
Quote:
You know, this is a method recommended by a Turkish man I know that grew up with working Kangal/Anatolians in a small village in Turkey (I will say any guardian dog that kills one of it's charges is usually killed on the spot in Turkey, so this method isn't as bad as it may sound compared to death). I know another American breeder of working Anatolians that has used a very similar method in cases where he couldn't break a dog of poultry killing any other way (this guy is a bit "out there" to begin with though). Both claim it works very well in breaking the dog of killing chickens, but we're also talking about working LGD breeds, which have been bred for centuries to have a very low prey drive and ability to bond with whatever they are raised to protect. My Anatolians have never killed a bird, though early in their training they did try to play with them. The Skye Terriers have been a different story, they have a strong prey drive and are naturally hard wired to kill any smaller animal. It's an ongoing training process to keep them "chicken safe," but I've never resorted to the "dead chicken method" and don't know whether I could, TBQH.

I agree with the other posters here that the OP made a very bad choice of breed(s) in selecting this dog as a guardian. I'm not sure it can ever be trained to be completely trustworthy around the chickens. Mastiffs and Danes, sure, if you know what you're doing those breeds could be trained to ignore poultry, but that's not the same as guarding them. Throwing Akita into the mix is a recipe for trouble, you've got a very strong willed, independent primitive breed with a very high prey drive. As I said before, with my terriers, it's an ongoing, repetitive training process to keep them from going after the birds. I have seen the Anatolians intervene a couple times when one of the Skyes was menacing the birds, but they have been taught from puppyhood that the Skyes are part of their "flock" as well and they must remain submissive to them and guard them too, so the most they will do is put themselves between the birds and the problem terrier and alert me to come help. On one occasion, Sinsi, the younger of the 2 Anatolians and the one with the strongest working instincts body slammed one of the terriers, knocking her across the yard, but not hurting her and definitely got the message across (Sinsi got a treat and praise for that).

The first thing I do with the terriers is use a shock collar, some may object, but in the right hands it is an effective training aid. When we put our first guineas in their outside run, every terrier in the house thought the dinner bell had just sounded. One by one, I brought each out, put the collar on them, opened the run, and as soon as they charged in after the birds, I zapped the crap out of them until they refused to even look at the birds. I then repeated the exercise, encouraging them to "get" the birds, and zapped them again if they did. The next step was turning them loose with the birds where they thought they were unsupervised and zapping them if they went for the birds (at that point only a couple of really hard headed ones still showed any interest). Using that method, I would say that 4 of the 6 Skyes I usually keep at home are "bird safe". The other 2 are still puppies and still think chasing the birds is great fun. I'm not sure what they'd do if they actually caught one, but I don't consider them safe and supervise when they are out.

If I were the OP, I would definitely give the shock collar a try. You don't want the dog to know the punishment is coming from you, all that is going to teach it is not to mess with the birds while you're there. You want the dog to think that "god" is punishing it for going after the birds so it will think it's a bad idea in any circumstance to harm the birds.

Also, for anybody else out there thinking about getting a guardian dog to protect their stock, it is the best predator protection there is, but don't just go out and get some random large breed or mutt, DON'T get a Herding breed either....herding dogs HERD, they aren't a reliable livestock guardian. Do your homework and get a Livestock Guardian breed, preferably from a reputable breeder that can select the best puppy for you and help you through the training process. If you've never trained a guardian before, especially since we're talking poultry here, getting an older dog that has already been started on poultry or one from a line of successful poultry guardian dogs is the best way to go. I have not lost a bird since my Anatolians have been on duty full time, everybody around me has lost small pets and livestock to bobcats, coyote, hawks, and human thieves. We are the only ones not to have predator problems.

Livestock Guardian Dogs

Quote:
You know, this is a method recommended by a Turkish man I know that grew up with working Kangal/Anatolians in a small village in Turkey (I will say any guardian dog that kills one of it's charges is usually killed on the spot in Turkey, so this method isn't as bad as it may sound compared to death). I know another American breeder of working Anatolians that has used a very similar method in cases where he couldn't break a dog of poultry killing any other way (this guy is a bit "out there" to begin with though). Both claim it works very well in breaking the dog of killing chickens, but we're also talking about working LGD breeds, which have been bred for centuries to have a very low prey drive and ability to bond with whatever they are raised to protect. My Anatolians have never killed a bird, though early in their training they did try to play with them. The Skye Terriers have been a different story, they have a strong prey drive and are naturally hard wired to kill any smaller animal. It's an ongoing training process to keep them "chicken safe," but I've never resorted to the "dead chicken method" and don't know whether I could, TBQH.

I agree with the other posters here that the OP made a very bad choice of breed(s) in selecting this dog as a guardian. I'm not sure it can ever be trained to be completely trustworthy around the chickens. Mastiffs and Danes, sure, if you know what you're doing those breeds could be trained to ignore poultry, but that's not the same as guarding them. Throwing Akita into the mix is a recipe for trouble, you've got a very strong willed, independent primitive breed with a very high prey drive. As I said before, with my terriers, it's an ongoing, repetitive training process to keep them from going after the birds. I have seen the Anatolians intervene a couple times when one of the Skyes was menacing the birds, but they have been taught from puppyhood that the Skyes are part of their "flock" as well and they must remain submissive to them and guard them too, so the most they will do is put themselves between the birds and the problem terrier and alert me to come help. On one occasion, Sinsi, the younger of the 2 Anatolians and the one with the strongest working instincts body slammed one of the terriers, knocking her across the yard, but not hurting her and definitely got the message across (Sinsi got a treat and praise for that).

The first thing I do with the terriers is use a shock collar, some may object, but in the right hands it is an effective training aid. When we put our first guineas in their outside run, every terrier in the house thought the dinner bell had just sounded. One by one, I brought each out, put the collar on them, opened the run, and as soon as they charged in after the birds, I zapped the crap out of them until they refused to even look at the birds. I then repeated the exercise, encouraging them to "get" the birds, and zapped them again if they did. The next step was turning them loose with the birds where they thought they were unsupervised and zapping them if they went for the birds (at that point only a couple of really hard headed ones still showed any interest). Using that method, I would say that 4 of the 6 Skyes I usually keep at home are "bird safe". The other 2 are still puppies and still think chasing the birds is great fun. I'm not sure what they'd do if they actually caught one, but I don't consider them safe and supervise when they are out.

If I were the OP, I would definitely give the shock collar a try. You don't want the dog to know the punishment is coming from you, all that is going to teach it is not to mess with the birds while you're there. You want the dog to think that "god" is punishing it for going after the birds so it will think it's a bad idea in any circumstance to harm the birds.

Also, for anybody else out there thinking about getting a guardian dog to protect their stock, it is the best predator protection there is, but don't just go out and get some random large breed or mutt, DON'T get a Herding breed either....herding dogs HERD, they aren't a reliable livestock guardian. Do your homework and get a Livestock Guardian breed, preferably from a reputable breeder that can select the best puppy for you and help you through the training process. If you've never trained a guardian before, especially since we're talking poultry here, getting an older dog that has already been started on poultry or one from a line of successful poultry guardian dogs is the best way to go. I have not lost a bird since my Anatolians have been on duty full time, everybody around me has lost small pets and livestock to bobcats, coyote, hawks, and human thieves. We are the only ones not to have predator problems.

I have used a shock collar in the past for barking but to me this seems a tad bit over the top for a sensitive terrier. Only my personal opinion, of course.

Quote:

I have used a shock collar in the past for barking but to me this seems a tad bit over the top for a sensitive terrier. Only my personal opinion, of course.

No one mentioned this for a terrier...and on another note, this is an OLD thread no longer going.

Back
Top Bottom