My NHR is doing badly will not stand long and has alot of runny poo in but fluff!!

Quiltslikecrazy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a NHR, will be 2 years old in a month, and don't have her weight but I can tell she has lost some.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is very lazy and will not stand for a long time, but will walk/run very well if I try to catch her. She has alot of runny poo all in the fluff of her vent. She stands all hunched over and just stands/sits there. She will run after treats but not like she does norm.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She has had a bit of runny poo in her vent for a maybe a week, but standing around alot and not going after treats as much has just started today/ last night.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
None
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Layer pellets and table scrapes and water. But I have found out that the people behind us dumps out food at the back of our yard and the chickens can get to it.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poo is Very runny and mainly white with only a little green.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat her at home.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I don't have a pic but can get one.
) Describe the housing/bedding in use
A Plywood coop and pine shavings.

I would like to add that we are in the middel of getting rid of mites and I did use a bit of sevin dust on everyone and the coop and run + DE. Also that I do not no the last time she laid because I have 12 other hens but have not seen her in the nestingbox for a little while.

TIA,

QLC

Last edited:
Well she made it through the night but is doing worse! Does anybody know what it could be?

QLC

Back
Top Bottom