MY OH MY- FIRST EGG!! What do I do!!??!!

May 30, 2022
Hi all!
So as you can see from the title, one of my 5 saphire gem hens just layed her FIRST EGG! I can't believe it! I really thought it would be much later- like when they were 6 months old, however unless TSC was wrong we got out 1-2 day old chicks in the very beginning of march so they are about 4 months!- is that seem early for pullets to be laying? What age is normal for egg laying? I am very excited!- however I am now worried about the chicken I suspect layed the egg- she was pacing around when I let them free range for a bit out of their run, and the door to the coop was closed and she was just jumping on top like she wanted to get in and clucking loudly and a lot (normal noises just a lot of them! :)). I opened the door so she could and looked in to see a smallish brown egg sitting in the nesting box she usually sleeps in! I took it inside but before and after I did that she kept pacing and going in and out and in and back out of the coop. Is this normal behavior for a pullet who has just layed (sorry if I sound stupid- very new to this and learning new things every day!) and should I do anything for them/ be concerned?
I also was planning on switching to a different feed (any suggestions for that?) within the 2 weeks or something, based on some research but if they may need calcium or oyster shells is there anything I should be providing sooner than that? This hen I think prob layed this egg, seems a bit more mature than the others, because she has a larger comb but she is generally a similar size. She is most idependent out of all of them and sometimes wanders off when they are walking in a flock. Additionaly most of the time the others sleep on the roost while she goes in one of the 3 nesting boxes, even if there is room on the roost.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would very much appriciate people letting me know if this situation seems normal and if there is anything I should add/do/change as we switch to this new chapter.
Thanks!!
-Groovy chicken girl

How old is she in weeks? 18 weeks is early but normal, 20 weeks is the early end of average.

What are you feeding now?

I'm in the all-flock plus oystershell camp because I have a mixed flock of different ages, have roosters, and thought about the fact that I was paying the price of feed for the calcium, which is dirt-cheap in 50# bags. :D

POL pullets often seem to be restless and confused by what's going on with their bodies.

How about a photo of the egg?

You will find the Layer feed has a better nutrition for them at the laying age and oyster shell is a supplement.

Layer feed is usually only 16% protein. Many people feel that our dual purpose breeds, who are larger than the commercial birds and live in different circumstances, do better on 18-20% protein. :)

Thanks for everyones support and info! So sorry for being MIA - its been quite a busy last few weeks and my Phone camera broke- but I now have pictures of the 2 eggs we got a couple weeks ago! I'll post them bellow! Our now 16 week old chickens have layed yet ANOTHER egg today also! I had been waiting but because we don't have layer feed yet I wasn't expecting consistency at all and it's just the same 1 chicken I think :)
Here are the pics : (a couple pictures of each of the 2)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for everyones support and info! So sorry for being MIA - its been quite a busy last few weeks and my Phone camera broke- but I now have pictures of the 2 eggs we got a couple weeks ago! I'll post them bellow! Our now 16 week old chickens have layed yet ANOTHER egg today also! I had been waiting but because we don't have layer feed yet I wasn't expecting consistency at all and it's just the same 1 chicken I think :)
Here are the pics : (a couple pictures of each of the 2)
And then this is what the whites and yokes looked like!! To my BIG surprise the second egg was A DOUBLE YOKER!! I don't even think its that uncommon but I was so excited :))
(some random questions- is it safe to eat the very fist eggs or are there any reasons why you should wait? Since I was happy just basking in the joy of having eggs I didn't end up eating them- my personal anxiety of "what ifs", but maybe I am just crazy lol 😂. They are healthy chickens and the yokes looked nice and rich!- Very proud of those hens!

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 7
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 5
CONGRATULATION!!! That's fantastic send a picture! Her pacing seems normal to me, but I'm no egg-spert! You will find the Layer feed has a better nutrition for them at the laying age and oyster shell is a supplement. I crush mine to a dust because the stuff I buy seems too big for them and it just ends up on the coop floor. But yes they need a second source of calcium. It sounds like your girl is doing what my first did. She was nervous and pacing plus she had made a natural nest to do her business outside so the boxes were a second but better laying choice. But mine sleep on a roost verses a box the boxes then get shared during busy laying periods.
Send / post a picture!

Last edited:
How old is she in weeks? 18 weeks is early but normal, 20 weeks is the early end of average.

What are you feeding now?

I'm in the all-flock plus oystershell camp because I have a mixed flock of different ages, have roosters, and thought about the fact that I was paying the price of feed for the calcium, which is dirt-cheap in 50# bags. :D

POL pullets often seem to be restless and confused by what's going on with their bodies.

How about a photo of the egg?
Oh- she was 14 weeks when we got the first egg! That was why I was so surprised!

Back
Top Bottom