My Old Girl of 7 is pooping yellow and very small green not eating is drinking

dcolvin

Hatching
Sep 1, 2019
my all black chicken i got from a friend last year is seven years of age.
She stopped eating and drinking several days ago and so I brought her
inside.
I have given vita drench and some fluid by syringe.
I tried a vet last year also for a different chicken and it was expensive and futile.
so today I took her outside for a bit and she drank from the hose with her other
older sisters. but will not eat.
Her poop is yellow and running down and stuck to her.
last night there was a small formed piece of green poop.

i have some Baytril ?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your chicken. At 7 years, she could be suffering from a reproductive disorder or a crop problem, or some other common problems, such as cancer or ascites. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, soft, doughy, or puffy? Check it again first thing in the morning before she has eaten or drunk anything.

Has she laid eggs recently? Has she lost weight when you handle her? Can you feel of her lower abdomen between her legs for any fullness or enlargement? Is she walking normally, or does she waddle or prefer to sit around? Can you post a picture of her droppings? Baytril can treat a number of infections, but it is banned in the US for egg layers or meat birds due to antibiotic resistance. Some still use it for certain infections.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your chicken. At 7 years, she could be suffering from a reproductive disorder or a crop problem, or some other common problems, such as cancer or ascites. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, soft, doughy, or puffy? Check it again first thing in the morning before she has eaten or drunk anything.

Has she laid eggs recently? Has she lost weight when you handle her? Can you feel of her lower abdomen between her legs for any fullness or enlargement? Is she walking normally, or does she waddle or prefer to sit around? Can you post a picture of her droppings? Baytril can treat a number of infections, but it is banned in the US for egg layers or meat birds due to antibiotic resistance. Some still use it for certain infections.

I have a picture of her poop
How do I post that?
When she is sitting her tail moves up and down
She went outside for a bit today
Walked pretty normal
I’ll check the crop
She ate a piece or two of boiled egg last night and the kept putting her head up and opening her beak like she was trying to swallow

8D3EF6AB-B37C-449B-9191-47635DBC6FC7.jpeg

Attachments

• A3EE9CAF-B350-4A04-B996-1BDD96AC520C.jpeg
    A3EE9CAF-B350-4A04-B996-1BDD96AC520C.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 2
It sounds like she might have a reproductive disorder that might be causing a crop slowdown. Salpingitis, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis and ascites are some of those. These are very common in older hens, and can be a common cause of death. You could try the antibiotic to see if it helps her, but she needs to eat and drink enough. Mixing a bit of her chicken feed with a lot of water, and offering chopped scrambled egg or tuna can help to get her esting.

I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken.

I've had 2 cases of EYP (Egg Yolk Peritonitis). I'm certain of the diagnosis in one case because I had a necropsy done. In both my cases of EYP their bellies were heavy, round and felt like soggy balloons. This is not to say that this is what your chicken has, and I am by no means and expert, but the poo looks similar.

My advice is if the antibiotic doesn't work and you can't get her to a veterinarian, move on to palliative care. Make her as comfortable as possible, feed her what ever she will eat, keep her safe from other chickens, etc.

I hope it turns out to be nothing. Please let us know the outcome.

Hi
So Gwen has been drinking and eating a few worms but this morning I did feel her crop and it is soft and squishy
(fluid)?
I did not give antibiotic as many say not to throw an antibiotic at something without knowing
I gave her a warm bath and there are mites
I have some permethrin cream
Should I use around vent?

Back
Top Bottom