My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

Glad to see she's eating and drinking a bit.
Checking her crop when she's been eating and drinking, it should feel a bit squishy like there's food/water in it.
Re-check again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
She should be acclimating to the indoor temps.

As I mentioned in previous posts. The poop is not normal. Likely she has some type of reproductive problem that is taking it's tole on her. Keep offering her supportive care like you are doing and see how it goes.

Look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Encourage her to eat/drink. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or swelling.

At that age, there can be a number of things that affect hens. They can start having reproductive problems like cancer or tumors.

The poop is not normal. It reminds me of what I've seen in hens that have reproductive problems. Hard to know which one unless you lose them and a necropsy is performed.

Okay, Broken toe is all locked up for the night. I had to pick her up and put her back in the carrier I think she wanted to stretch her legs. The status of her crop after I locked her in the carrier which was at about 11:13pm is full and squishy (she ate a lot and drank). I did not feel her abdomen before locking her up for the night probably should have. My room is 68 degrees as I am writing this. When she last pooped was a hour or so before I locked her up. I think I am forgetting to say something else about her state as of right now but cant think of it.
20220322_224822.jpg

20220322_225316_HDR.jpg
20220322_230520.jpg
20220322_231045_HDR.jpg

I have been talking to her when I interact with her, I tell her she is pretty and she is a good chicken, I ask her what she is doing. I tell her what I am going to do when I leave the room to go get something for her and or do something for the rest of the flock outside, I say how long it will take for me to be back and I tell her goodnight. I make sure I talk to her so she can feel comfortable with me when she is in recovery. And she makes sounds every now and then to soo figured I would talk back. I don't think the sounds are to respond to me of course.

2.Should I feel her vent again?
3.Do I need to let her get direct sunlight at least for a little bit? (In the house of course).
4.How should I make her feel like there is other chickens around so she isn't lonely (If I should at all)?
5.if I don't need to give her direct sun for a little bit then since she has more energy as of right now should I make a spot for her to walk around a little?
6.how should I clean a glass jar that has the cooking oil spray stuck to it? (It was in the cupboard for a few years which is above the stove so it has a bit of a greasy feel) So I can safely use it to hold Broken toes food.
7.should I ferment her feed or at last make a small batch for when she is better? I don't know how long it will take for her to get better (as I am sure many of you prob don't know when she will get better as well).
I think that is all my questions, Thank you.
Broken tie pooped just now and is sleeping.
She was preening herself just a bit ago.
I wouldn't feel inside her vent. The yellowish urates tell a tale. I've seen that in hens that have reproductive problems and start having a swollen abdomen.

Letting her get up, move about, enjoy some sunshine...all that is a very good idea. If it's warmed up outside, she may enjoy going out to be with the flock for a few hours as well - use your judgement on that.
Just talking to her and caring for her like you are doing should be a comfort to her. You're doing a good job.

Give her the wet feed. Fermenting, you can do that if you wish. I just usually soak feed overnight and my hens love it, but you can leave it soaking for a few days if you wish. Just do your research on how it's done.

I would give her some coconut oil twice a day. See if that helps the crop to empty.

To clean a greasy jar. Give the jar a soak in hot water with dish soap. Give it a wash up. For stubborn stuck on grease, you may have to soak more than once.

I just read this whole thread. I am sorry your hen is sick, but you are getting the best advice possible from @Wyorp Rock and you are doing a wonderful job caring for Broken Toe. The only thing I have to add is, try not to stress too much about the temperature of your room from day to day. If the room is anywhere near comfortable for you, it is fine for your patient. Remember that above all, she is a bird. Nature has provided her all she needs for dealing with temperature changes in the form of those magnificent feathers, the same as all wild birds.

It's nice to see how loved Broken Toe is and how well she is being cared for. You are a very special young lady and she is lucky to have you. ❤️

Broken toe Update march 25 2022 10:40pm.
Broken toes crop feels squishy but not as full as other times.
When she was outside today she didn't go very far from everyone else but before I brought her in I had to go find her cause she walked about thirty feet away from the coop, (I thought she might have gotten taken by something when I was searching for her). I don't know how much food she ate today I know she drank water and I did see her pecking at the ground every now and then. I haven't seen many of her poops today either but know they are still the same.
I also have to feed one of my neighbors horses in the mornings I usually feed them around 8:30am. The last couple days I haven't had to but tomorrow and the next couple days I need to feed them in the mornings so it might be harder for me to get certain things done for Broken toe at a certain time (I only have to give hay to four horses and check their water so it doesn't take long. But if I am going to be waking up at 6:00am for the next couple days I think I will have plenty time to do everything for Broken toe. So I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.
Sort of questions?
I have been thinking about playing calming music for her at night but haven't really done it yet... Have you ever played music for a sick chicken? (Music from a phone or speaker/radio) if so what music did you play? I looked up yesterday calming music for chickens not much came up I did find one video that I liked but I didn't have the speaker loud enough for Broken toe to hear it I believe.
I am tired, so I am going to stop here and get Broken toe ready for the night (take the food and water away for the night after offering it to her one last time, I doubt she will eat or drink though) I think I covered all the important info on Broken toe's status as of right now.
Thank you!

:hugs I'm sorry to hear about Broken Toe :hugs

Thank you for sharing your favorite photo of her❤️

Thank you for taking care of her and making every effort to give her comfort.
I'm sure you will miss her and it was sad to see her go.

You mentioned you had some questions, I may have missed those, so if you can ask again, I'm sure we will do our best to help you with those.
Thank, for all your help!
I am not entirely sure what those questions were right now, I just reread through this thread and didn't see any that were unanswered I think.
:hugs
You're welcome, Angelina. Thank you for taking such good care of little Broken Toe.
Thank you!
RIP Broken Toe! I was really hoping she would pull through but she isn't in pain anymore and she died knowing she was loved. :hugs
Thank you! I was hoping she would too, I am glad I at least got a lot of memory's and photos of her before her passing, I haven't been able to do that with many of my other chickens.
Thank you all so much! I hope you all have a great day!

Should I cut the tablet in half or something? And how much epsom salt do you recommend putting in the water for soaking her. should I separate her still?

I would still give her the Calcium once a day for 3-5 days. You can use the spring valley Calcium you have in the photo, 1 tablet, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow it.

I want to soak Broken toe but I don't exactly know how deep the water should be. Should it go up to her wings?
For the epsom salts, follow the amounts on the packaging.

She doesn't really need a soaking, she needs a butt washing. After you clean her up, dry her really well, use a hair dryer if you need to.

I normally don't separate a hen from her flock unless she's getting picked on. It's stressful being removed and isolated.
It's up to you to determine if she's well enough to stay with the flock and you just monitor her and treat her during the day.

She's not feeling too well is she:(

You may want to bring her in, give her a clean up. Dry her well.
Do offer her some water and food before she goes to sleep.
Check her crop again in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

The poop is not normal. It reminds me of what I've seen in hens that have reproductive problems. Hard to know which one unless you lose them and a necropsy is performed.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

Back
Top Bottom