My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

Pics
Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Hen 7-9 years old, and is really skinny.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Comes out of the coop last and is not eating much if at all. I think she is drinking.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
For about 5 days now, but she was eating and drinking a lot more than she is today, she is just standing around right now. She showed interest in the food for a little bit but after she pecked at it a couple times she walked away.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Old age, I don't exactly know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Country companion all flock, mixed with layer feed and some scratch grains. (I am going to have them completely on all flock once we run out of the layer and scratch). They were on layer and scratch grains for almost all there lives (not when they were chicks they were on the proper feed for chicks when they were chicks).
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Lime green with some wight, I believe normal consistency.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat it myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
This picture isn't very good let me know if you need a better one.
20220319_110918_HDR.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine wood shavings. Coop is too small for all the birds in it, and has poor ventilation. (I am working on the coop situation). They free range from 8:00am till the sun goes down.

Thank you for any help, I want to make sure all my birds are in good health and live long happy lives. And that entails a lot of work for me, as our setup isn't very good I really want to make everything better though. I am working on building a coop for my ducks that way there is more space for the chickens in the coop that we currently have.
Broken toe is the name of the hen that is having the issues, I don't want to lose her, but the way she is acting is telling me she is probably not going to live much longer I want to know if she can be helped, I don't want her to die and then learn that I could have helped her live longer (live longer as long as she wouldn't be in pain or anything like that). I love all my chickens and ducks, I really want to improve there lives. Thank you so much for any and all advise suggestions, opinions, ideas, any info provided to help Broken toe.
This is her right foot, figured I would put this picture in here so everyone could see why she is called Broken toe, I also want to know if there is anything that I should do for her toe.
20220315_100919.jpg

Broken toe passed away at 8:09am march 29 2022.
I am going to describe somewhat on how she died just a warning or whatever..... It isn't bad or anything Idk just figured it would be a good Idea to write this down.
Thank you @Wyorp Rock for al the help and info you gave and @BigBlueHen53 and every one else! I hope everyone has a great day.
Here is one of my favorite pictures of Broken toe, I took this picture a couple months ago.
20220118_153127_HDR.jpg

I was sitting next to her talking to her, I tried comforting her, she looked uncomfortable and in pain I was telling her that she was going to be alright and that she was good chicken and the best hen ever (every hen is the best hen ever) I didn't think she was going to pass as soon as she did, a few minutes prior to her passing I told her that it would be all over soon and that here would be no more pain thinking that we would be able to put her down. whenever she would try resting her head the liquid from her crop would come up. When she tried resting her head for the i think was the fourth time she must have inhaled some of the liquid. After that happened she tried/took a couple breaths she started flapping her wings and her head moved a lot her crop emptied and then she stopped. I sat with her for a little bit and said goodbye, she is now in the carrier.
I am getting ready to bury her.
Thank you everyone for your help, and the answers to my questions earlier would be nice still that way maybe others can see them.

I would wash up her poopy feathers, while you're doing that I would look through her feathers for bugs. Lice are fairly small bugs that you would see moving about they can be a from light tan to darker brown. Mites usually accumulate around the vent, under the wings and live in housing.

I would still give her the Calcium once a day for 3-5 days. You can use the spring valley Calcium you have in the photo, 1 tablet, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow it.

Re-Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink, if it's not empty, then I would give her around 1 teaspoon coconut oil, light massage the crop, tell us if it feels hard, soft, doughy, fluid filled. Then in the afternoon or before she goes to roost, give her another teaspoon of coconut oil. My hens love coconut oil and will eat little chunks of it, just put it in the fridge to harden it up, break it up and see if she will eat it on her own.

Dying is not comfortable without people quality medical treatment and even then there's no guarantees. Have you talked to your parents about ending her misery yet? I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but she has had a long happy life. It seems like it is likely time to give her a peaceful and quick exit.
Wish I could have, my mom isn't even up yet I don't think and my dad is at work. She did have a long life I wanted to make her few years better then before I think I did A pretty good job of that. Thank you, I will figure out what to do for the next time a chicken or duck gets sick that way they don't have to go out like she did but sometimes unexpected things happen and you can't put them down. I wish I could have helped her to have a better death, she went on her own I was there to try comforting her. I spoke to her before and after she went.
You have a great day @chickfused and everyone else!

:hugs I'm sorry to hear about Broken Toe :hugs

Thank you for sharing your favorite photo of her❤️

Thank you for taking care of her and making every effort to give her comfort.
I'm sure you will miss her and it was sad to see her go.

You mentioned you had some questions, I may have missed those, so if you can ask again, I'm sure we will do our best to help you with those.

I went out and put fresh water in the water containers and gave the chickens and ducks some more food. Broken toe didn't care for the food or water, she didn't mind me picking her up. I brought her to the water when I was out there and let her stand there for a little and she did nothing same thing with the food. I put water on her beak and opened her beak with water on my fingers and I think she got a couple drops of water from that and I had little resistance from her when I opened her beak. After putting water in her beak though she showed a little interest in food she pecked at a few pieces, and she even looked at the water I think she thought about drinking. But then after that she went back to standing/sitting around doing nothing. She doesn't have any drainage from her nose or eyes.
Hi, I am sorry about your girl. If it were me I would trat her for reproductive.
*Give her a tablet of calcium. Crush or cut in half but get it down her asap.
*Soak her for 20 minutes in a warm sinkful of water with epsom salt.
*Get some oil on a gloved finger and gently feel inside of her while she soaks. She may have something left up her that she needs to expel.
*Dry her off and keep her Ina warm quiet place with a nest available.
*When was the last time you dewormed your flock?
*No snacks for her, layer feed.
*Repeat as needed.

Do you know if she's even been laying eggs at all?
At 7 years of age, she's likely slowing down.

Look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Encourage her to eat/drink. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or swelling.

At that age, there can be a number of things that affect hens. They can start having reproductive problems like cancer or tumors.

Back
Top Bottom