My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

Pics
Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Hen 7-9 years old, and is really skinny.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Comes out of the coop last and is not eating much if at all. I think she is drinking.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
For about 5 days now, but she was eating and drinking a lot more than she is today, she is just standing around right now. She showed interest in the food for a little bit but after she pecked at it a couple times she walked away.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Old age, I don't exactly know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Country companion all flock, mixed with layer feed and some scratch grains. (I am going to have them completely on all flock once we run out of the layer and scratch). They were on layer and scratch grains for almost all there lives (not when they were chicks they were on the proper feed for chicks when they were chicks).
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Lime green with some wight, I believe normal consistency.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat it myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
This picture isn't very good let me know if you need a better one.
20220319_110918_HDR.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine wood shavings. Coop is too small for all the birds in it, and has poor ventilation. (I am working on the coop situation). They free range from 8:00am till the sun goes down.

Thank you for any help, I want to make sure all my birds are in good health and live long happy lives. And that entails a lot of work for me, as our setup isn't very good I really want to make everything better though. I am working on building a coop for my ducks that way there is more space for the chickens in the coop that we currently have.
Broken toe is the name of the hen that is having the issues, I don't want to lose her, but the way she is acting is telling me she is probably not going to live much longer I want to know if she can be helped, I don't want her to die and then learn that I could have helped her live longer (live longer as long as she wouldn't be in pain or anything like that). I love all my chickens and ducks, I really want to improve there lives. Thank you so much for any and all advise suggestions, opinions, ideas, any info provided to help Broken toe.
This is her right foot, figured I would put this picture in here so everyone could see why she is called Broken toe, I also want to know if there is anything that I should do for her toe.
20220315_100919.jpg

Broken toe is acting for the most part normal, she does seem a little slower than usual. She is alert and pays attention to the rest of the flock.
I am going to go out and get fresh water in their water buckets and try getting Broken toe to eat some food, I think she will eat.
Should I put nutri-drench in their water and see if maybe that helps Broken toe to have more energy I am not sure if that is what she needs or not.

I went out and put fresh water in the water containers and gave the chickens and ducks some more food. Broken toe didn't care for the food or water, she didn't mind me picking her up. I brought her to the water when I was out there and let her stand there for a little and she did nothing same thing with the food. I put water on her beak and opened her beak with water on my fingers and I think she got a couple drops of water from that and I had little resistance from her when I opened her beak. After putting water in her beak though she showed a little interest in food she pecked at a few pieces, and she even looked at the water I think she thought about drinking. But then after that she went back to standing/sitting around doing nothing. She doesn't have any drainage from her nose or eyes.

I went out and put fresh water in the water containers and gave the chickens and ducks some more food. Broken toe didn't care for the food or water, she didn't mind me picking her up. I brought her to the water when I was out there and let her stand there for a little and she did nothing same thing with the food. I put water on her beak and opened her beak with water on my fingers and I think she got a couple drops of water from that and I had little resistance from her when I opened her beak. After putting water in her beak though she showed a little interest in food she pecked at a few pieces, and she even looked at the water I think she thought about drinking. But then after that she went back to standing/sitting around doing nothing. She doesn't have any drainage from her nose or eyes.
Hi, I am sorry about your girl. If it were me I would trat her for reproductive.
*Give her a tablet of calcium. Crush or cut in half but get it down her asap.
*Soak her for 20 minutes in a warm sinkful of water with epsom salt.
*Get some oil on a gloved finger and gently feel inside of her while she soaks. She may have something left up her that she needs to expel.
*Dry her off and keep her Ina warm quiet place with a nest available.
*When was the last time you dewormed your flock?
*No snacks for her, layer feed.
*Repeat as needed.

Hi, I am sorry about your girl. If it were me I would trat her for reproductive.
*Give her a tablet of calcium. Crush or cut in half but get it down her asap.
*Soak her for 20 minutes in a warm sinkful of water with epsom salt.
*Get some oil on a gloved finger and gently feel inside of her while she soaks. She may have something left up her that she needs to expel.
*Dry her off and keep her Ina warm quiet place with a nest available.
*When was the last time you dewormed your flock?
*No snacks for her, layer feed.
*Repeat as needed.
I don't think we have dewormed them, I know around 7 years ago we did. I don't really know where to put her. And what kind of oil, should I use? And does it matter what kind of calcium tablet?

This picture is her earlier today when I took the picture of her poop. This is kind of the way she stands its hard to tell how exactly she is standing cause this picture doesn't show her whole body very well. And she has been sitting a lot too. Her crop has been empty all day.
20220319_110931_HDR.jpg

Here is the link to the thread I made about a respiratory issue with them. Thread 'Is this a respiratory illness or something else?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-a-respiratory-illness-or-something-else.1514023/
Hopefully the link works if not here are the titles of the threads that I think will be helpful in figuring out how to help her. "Is this a respiratory illness or something else?" Sort of remodeling my coop? Need advice.

Well, I would do the bath, fish around her vent to be sure that is not an issue. Def get calcium down her. You can use a tums or a people calcium. If you need to crush it and syringe it I would. Do this treatment for a few days.
If you can get ahold of an antibiotic be preemptive and do it. Also. I would def worm her or take a poop sample to the vets for a float.
But this is how I would handle it from the info you gave. Her age, her behavior and it is a nice treatment we can and all should do to run out other issues. Right? Gotta start somewhere.

Well, I would do the bath, fish around her vent to be sure that is not an issue. Def get calcium down her. You can use a tums or a people calcium. If you need to crush it and syringe it I would. Do this treatment for a few days.
If you can get ahold of an antibiotic be preemptive and do it. Also. I would def worm her or take a poop sample to the vets for a float.
But this is how I would handle it from the info you gave. Her age, her behavior and it is a nice treatment we can and all should do to run out other issues. Right? Gotta start somewhere.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom