My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

If I have to separate her would it be a good idea to keep her in my room? My cat sleeps in my room with me but I can lock her in the kennel at night which is not in my room. Would she be alright by herself in the house? I had to have Maria one of my ducks in my room at one point because she got attacked by a dog and couldn't walk for a while and was also a bit in shock. But Broken toe didn't have anything happen to her so do you think she will be alright being separated? I am anxious about this whole thing, I just don't want to stress her out and I don't want to cause issues with the rest of the flock or whatever.

Should I cut the tablet in half or something? And how much epsom salt do you recommend putting in the water for soaking her. should I separate her still?

I would still give her the Calcium once a day for 3-5 days. You can use the spring valley Calcium you have in the photo, 1 tablet, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow it.

I want to soak Broken toe but I don't exactly know how deep the water should be. Should it go up to her wings?
For the epsom salts, follow the amounts on the packaging.

She doesn't really need a soaking, she needs a butt washing. After you clean her up, dry her really well, use a hair dryer if you need to.

I normally don't separate a hen from her flock unless she's getting picked on. It's stressful being removed and isolated.
It's up to you to determine if she's well enough to stay with the flock and you just monitor her and treat her during the day.

For the epsom salts, follow the amounts on the packaging.

She doesn't really need a soaking, she needs a butt washing. After you clean her up, dry her really well, use a hair dryer if you need to.

I normally don't separate a hen from her flock unless she's getting picked on. It's stressful being removed and isolated.
It's up to you to determine if she's well enough to stay with the flock and you just monitor her and treat her during the day.
Okay, thank you! I don't think she needs to be separated.

It is 25 degrees outside right now, Broken toe came out and acted like she was going to eat but never really did and then she went back in the coop. I put food in there tried to get her to eat and she didn't eat what I was trying to give her. I felt her crop and it is almost empty there is a little bit of food in it from yesterday. I am going to feel her vent today but would like to know if coconut oil is okay to use?

I went out and felt around her vent. With gloves and coconut oil. It felt like she was trying to poop the whole time. She even positioned her body the way they do when they poop so they don't get poop on there feathers. She expelled a little bit of poop during the "examination?" I will get pictures of the poop from when I "examined?" Her vent. She ate and drank after I checked her vent.

Here is the pictures.
20220321_151011.jpg
20220321_151016.jpg

This is her after she ate and drank a little (it is like 30 something degrees outside rn but is not windy).
20220321_151035.jpg
20220321_151046.jpg

Attachments

• 20220321_151042_HDR.jpg
    20220321_151042_HDR.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220321_151045_HDR.jpg
    20220321_151045_HDR.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 3
Broken toe is standing pretty far out away from the rest of the chickens and ducks. Should I bring her in or something? That kind of behavior has me really worried. :(
Is there anything I should do? Please let me know if I am not giving details that are needed, I want to make it as easy as possible for you to help.

She's not feeling too well is she:(

You may want to bring her in, give her a clean up. Dry her well.
Do offer her some water and food before she goes to sleep.
Check her crop again in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

The poop is not normal. It reminds me of what I've seen in hens that have reproductive problems. Hard to know which one unless you lose them and a necropsy is performed.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

She's not feeling too well is she:(

You may want to bring her in, give her a clean up. Dry her well.
Do offer her some water and food before she goes to sleep.
Check her crop again in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

The poop is not normal. It reminds me of what I've seen in hens that have reproductive problems. Hard to know which one unless you lose them and a necropsy is performed.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
I am pretty sure we don't have antibiotics. And I am def bringing her in tonight, her crop feels fullish of liquid and around her eyes is looking pale. What should I do in preparation for bringing her in?

Back
Top Bottom