My oldest is off to college and I'm sad

LuckysMom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
Well, I'm just back from driving my oldest daughter to college and getting her settled in her dorm room. Heavy Sigh! I'm happy for her and I just know she's going to have a great time. This is an exciting time for her. But I feel like it's not time for her to leave yet. I can't be done raising her already! It's so weird, you're a parent for 18 years and all of a sudden you're done. time's up. All the times you had to read to them, nag them, check their homework, help them clean their room, drive them to work; that's all over with. She's on her own now.
hit.gif

Yes Me too. My daughter left today for the University of Oklahoma. Hard to believe all those years are behind us and everything are just memories. Where did all those years go? I happy for her but sad for us.

Been there and yes, I cried on the plane coming home without here. It was a very strange feeling. How could I possibly be leaving my daughter across the country alone, where did the time go??? She graduated this spring with her bachelors so it does go by fast believe me.
But let me just say that they need to do it, not only for their education but in order for them to mature. I never went to college, and today without that degree in most cases no halfway decent jobs exist. It is almost like experience is a thing of the past.
It is a wonderful time for them, getting out on their own and spreading their wings.
And were never done being parents, never!!!! I know it is hard but it will get easier and you will adjust.

I feel for you! Our daughter attends college about 40 minutes away, so she stays here & commutes.
Everything she needs is right there. That may change in another year, IF she decides to pursue a Master's Degree. Not looking forward to that! :|

My 2 are in college (They go back next week and the week after), and believe me you'll get used to them coming and going. And no way are you done raising them yet, wait till you get the "I'm starving" phone calls, starting in about two weeks!
lol.png

Last edited:
I remember when my first left for college, i cried for 2 weeks. You are not done raising them, they still need their momma and always will but you have got to let them fly a little on their own. I noticed when they do go to college, the relationship does change, we would talk more and are more friends. My girls call me everyday. They say they are just checking up on their mom but i know otherwise. When people at work talk about their lil ones i remember when they were babies and wonder where did the years go but they have got to make it on their own and they will with your guidance.

Boy, ya'll had me crying and I didn't cry when my kids went off to college. Must be delayed reaction or something.

Somehow I just enjoyed each phase of their lives and looked at the next as yet another journey - starting kindergarten, graduating high school, leaving for college, marrying. Relax and enjoy the journey - each phase brings all new blessings.

My youngest child, my "baby" just left this week for college however he had been gone for three years serving in the military and a tour in Iraq. Having him home safely from war was a true blessing. Watching him leave for college seemed like a piece of cake by comparison to watching him drive away with that recruitor.

However, the house is finally ours (me/DH) alone.

Note to Okiechick - we stayed in touch with our son by using Yahoo's instant messanger. You can even use voice and video for free. The only time he couldn't use the voice feature was while in Iraq. Get a cheap headset/microphone and one of those little pc cameras and he'll be able to see you and talk to you. Much cheaper than overseas phone calls - absolutely free. Our extended family, exes and all got Yahoo accounts and when anyone saw/heard that Michael was online they let everyone else know. Pretty soon everyone was online chatting at same time. It was wonderful - even brought everyone together.

For all of those with kids going off to college - you might want to try this as well. You can set Yahoo IM to on your pc to have a loud and distinct ring when your kid logs on. Then you can rush to your pc and "talk" to them. Both chatting (typing) as well as voice and video is free. We found the voice quality as good as using the phone.

Of course, if your kids are as tricky as my middle child, they'll quickly learn how to use the "invisible" feature so mom can't tell when they're logged on.

Not off to college, but my 18 yo son and 19 yo daughter moved out on the same day just two months ago and I am dying. I miss them so much.
They both left after huge family argument, you know the "if you live under my roof you need to obey my rules' ... I have never wished I could go back in time for a do-over as I have since that day.... I didnt handle things well at all and now I am here in a quiet house, my heart stops if I think their car pulls into driveway, if they call it makes my day to hear their voices.
I am even missing their dirty clothes, dishes and waiting my turn for the computer. I dont miss the arguing though,, that eighteen years was in a blink of an eye.

First off Welcome Truckerswife. I am sorry to hear of both of yours leaving at the same time. Family arguments happen all the time, it's life. When things cool off hopefully they will see the light. We do not always "handle" things well,,,especially in a heated argument. I can attest to that!!
I hope things work out. Do you have chickens like the rest of us? They are great therapy.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom