My one rooster is getting overly aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trishaleaird, Jan 11, 2019.

1. trishaleaird

trishaleaird In the Brooder

Dec 17, 2018
    Bexar county Texas
    ok everyone I have a question?? How do you calm down an overly aggressive rooster foghorn is getting to be a jerk...I have been as nice as I’m going to tolerate with him...my hens are as sweet as can be can be handled an loved on if you wish...I have tried treats affection an everything to get on his good side...I have another rooster that isn’t the slightest problem he just avoids you...Fog has gone to the point of trying to jump in your face ...An there is no pre warning..He doesn’t shuffle or anything to give you a heads up..he is an outstanding rooster otherwise....Does anyone have any suggestions on how to chill him out ...Without me having to get rid of him or making a pot of chicken an dumplings????? He is about 20 months old...An all of them are Rhode Island reds

Alexandra33 likes this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Any time shows any aggression pin him to the ground until he stops struggling. Do this with gloves on if he tries to peck you. This will put you at the top of the pecking order.

3. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Stewpot. Thats how you fix an aggressive rooster. Potatoes and carrots too.

4. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    I like this idea too, but if the OP dosent want to cull then i would try the pin to ground method.

5. RollTideChicken

RollTideChicken Songster

Mar 21, 2017
    North Alabama
    My experience with aggressive roos has been a little hit and a lot of miss. My dad has one that he's gotten to stop attacking him but then the stupid bird still attacks others. I've had 2 butthole roosters and neither one got better no matter what I tried.
    Once they go to the dark side, I put them down.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes an aggressive rooster's attitude can be readjusted, but even then they can rarely be trusted. You need to assess how much you need him and whether or not the possibility of injury is worth putting up with him.

7. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

#1- Stop being nice, play times over.
    #2- Enter pen and walk towards him with your arms wide open, don't scream or make any noises just keep walking towards him making him turn and walk or run away from you. Repeat several times. If working repeat for several days. He may need to be reminded from time to time if this works for you.
    #3- If number 2 fails do as @BarnhartChickens98 says and grabs his arse and pin him down holding him, repeat a few times. Again may need to be reminded from time to time.
    #4- Well i don't really need to say anything other than don't waste him on just chicken soup, have a nice rotisserie first.

That folks would be my play book.
    Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
    Keep us updated please!!

8. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    generally, there's no fixing the temperament, it sounds harsh, but I don't tolerate aggression from hens or roos. when it's a hen, I send them on to a new home in hopes of a different pecking order working out better for them but when it's a roo, there are just too many unwanted roos so I let them go to stew on Craigs list or give them the ax.

Alexandra33 and trishaleaird like this.
  9. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Ive had several aggressive roosters that Ive tried fixing to the point I even beat the living daylights out of when he flogged me repeatedly. Didnt faze him. He got to come to Sunday dinner as the guest of honor.

10. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Speak softly but carry a big stick. A long thin supple stick works well. Make him stay out of your space al all times. No more treats. No more affection. Jumping in your face would be immediate grounds for getting out the crockpot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: