My orphan chick got attacked by my dog. Help!

Maritai

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2019
So it’s been a month since we were given an orphan chick to take care of, since we have another chicken who we thought would take him under his wing which she didn’t sadly..
Anyways, he’s a fearless little guy (or girl idk) he’s not scared of our dogs, of us, anything really. He’s so curious! Today in the morning when my mom was giving him some water (she happened to open the wrong door) the baby chick was more exposed because of this and our dog managed to grab his leg and wouldn’t let go. It’s now been about 17 hours since this occurred and I thought it was just a sprain that will resolve on it’s own but my dad believes it is broken and he has no function of his nerves since his leg just hangs around loosely like it’s like an extra limb Bc he doesn’t control it. Right now he’s not perched up since he keeps falling down. He’s huddled in the corner of his cage and he’s not in any physical pain. He seems okay but im worried about his leg and overal future because how is he supposed to scavenge for food on his own? He’s not a baby baby chick he’s more like a “child” closer to the “teen” phase. He’s still pretty young and small and I hope it resolves on it’s own. Anyways my question was if anyone has any experience in this situation.. is there a way of telling if it’s broken or not? Should I wait for it to resolve on it’s own? If I wait too long will there be no hope at al in fixing it ?

Picture of chick(named heihei) before injury. I will post more pictures of him and his leg in a bit!

Attachments

• 6EEF3D35-9E3C-452C-90ED-F17FF15CC181.jpeg
    6EEF3D35-9E3C-452C-90ED-F17FF15CC181.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
More pictures would be helpful. Can you gently look this little one over for puncture wounds? He/she maybe able to overcome the leg issue, but there may be other issues as well. Also, I hate to break it to you, but I doubt this bird is not in any pain. You might see if he/she would tolerate a chicken sling to keep from falling over. Hopefully someone here can walk you through diagnosing the injury. Again, more photos would help.

Chickens (and many other animals) hide pain very well. Sometimes the only symptom of pain is lack of activity/hiding.
Chickens can have aspirin. The dose is 5 full strength tablets per gallon. (You could probably put one and a quarter tablets in a quart for a single chicken.) Personally, I wouldn’t give Aspirin on an empty crop.

It’s possible the muscle is pulled and this preventing function. A sling may be a good idea if a splint isn’t possible.

Depending on his age, be sure to keep him at the right temp. 100 degrees for newly hatched, then minus 5 degrees per week until six weeks when they are fully feathered.

Also, it is vital to keep him hydrated and fed. This will kill him faster than anything else. Sometimes giving a bit of honey water will stimulate their appetite, but if he still won’t eat and drink on his own, you will have to force him. The sooner the better. I keep a 3.5c Lifeline feeding tube for kittens and puppies on hand for chicken emergencies. You can slide the flexible tube into their crop (be sure it is in the crop and not in the breathing side), fill the syringe with prepared baby bird formula, and slowly give him enough to see the crop expanding. Don’t give solid food when giving baby bird formula because the lack of grit can lead to sour crop. You can offer some thick formula or human baby food to see if he will begin eating on his own. When he will eat himself, let the crop empty of formula and offer chick stater.

He’s just sprawled in his cage. He’s in pain and sad I believe. I think I should contact the vet... what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 6F783660-6C8C-4FD7-ABF6-C736E711D786.jpeg
    6F783660-6C8C-4FD7-ABF6-C736E711D786.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2F1ECFDE-ECC1-4140-B2A3-2DD27A68BC1A.jpeg
    2F1ECFDE-ECC1-4140-B2A3-2DD27A68BC1A.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 32C25C17-AE4A-4643-905D-A5F9C9A01F0C.jpeg
    32C25C17-AE4A-4643-905D-A5F9C9A01F0C.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 11
Yes. If a vet is an option, I would do that. If you gently handle the foot and leg, can this chick grasp your finger? Flinch with pain? Would you be willing to try the sling? This supports the bird’s whole underside with holes for legs and vent. I think I have a pic somewhere, and they are all over this site and the web if you search for chicken sling. Have you looked this little one over for further injury?

So it’s been a month since we were given an orphan chick to take care of, since we have another chicken who we thought would take him under his wing which she didn’t sadly..
Anyways, he’s a fearless little guy (or girl idk) he’s not scared of our dogs, of us, anything really. He’s so curious! Today in the morning when my mom was giving him some water (she happened to open the wrong door) the baby chick was more exposed because of this and our dog managed to grab his leg and wouldn’t let go. It’s now been about 17 hours since this occurred and I thought it was just a sprain that will resolve on it’s own but my dad believes it is broken and he has no function of his nerves since his leg just hangs around loosely like it’s like an extra limb Bc he doesn’t control it. Right now he’s not perched up since he keeps falling down. He’s huddled in the corner of his cage and he’s not in any physical pain. He seems okay but im worried about his leg and overal future because how is he supposed to scavenge for food on his own? He’s not a baby baby chick he’s more like a “child” closer to the “teen” phase. He’s still pretty young and small and I hope it resolves on it’s own. Anyways my question was if anyone has any experience in this situation.. is there a way of telling if it’s broken or not? Should I wait for it to resolve on it’s own? If I wait too long will there be no hope at al in fixing it ?

Picture of chick(named heihei) before injury. I will post more pictures of him and his leg in a bit!
could have pulled the tendon out of place or dislocated the leg, if they have a leg injury they are in pain just really good at hiding it, first of all dd in some nutri drench or save a chick to help ease up on the stress. then check the leg as best you can. you will be feeding him and watering him while he heals, if he tolerates it try moving the led to see if he has range of motion very carefully and only as tolerated. Then go from there

When I was pulling his leg he wouldn’t make a sound or flinched. It’s like he lost complete function/feelings.. he also cannot grasp my finger. He doesn’t move that one leg it’s just lying there. I have tried calling many vets but they don’t treat chickens. I was given a vet mobile number, hopefully they can come as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom