My own annoying pest

Hottchick

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
I have one of the sweetest, most annoying dogs ever. I have a love/hate relationship with him. Whenever we go into the coop he barks nonstop. It drives me crazy. Anyone have any ideas to get him to stop? I have a broom that I chase him with but then I have to go out of the run to chase him with it and it kind of defeats the purpose of me being in there in the first place. Oh, and he's tenacious as anything. Smart, hard headed and an all around pain when he wants something.

Any insight would be helpful.

He's not the one that killed one of my chickens the other day either. That was my other dog.

Bark collar! Or...they are selling an item at WalMart now that cost under $10. I seen it first on TV. It emits a noise that only the dog can hear. Sounds like something like that might save your sanity. LOL!!

i found a water spray works together with a command like Stop, or quiet then treat reward when quiet for a count to 3 initially building up to 10. eventually you will just need the command.

basically its dog barks squirt with water gun with command, small treat when stay quiet must add water gun only works if the dog doesnt like it

Train him. When he takes a breath, say stop, then good dog, reward him. It will take a while but work.

Bark collars shock them, and it can take quite a shock for them to get the message.

Why do you bring the dog into the coop with you if you know he's going to drive you crazy barking...? Why not do what you have to in the coop without the pooch..?

Quote:
I have to say that in order for our Komondor to get the message to not bark we had to set the bark collar on POOF! (He would still bark when he wanted too, and he has now taken to talking back at me. The collar only worked if I had it on him all the time, and even then if he heard something real, he would bark anyway. I haven't bothered to put one on him for years now.) Bark collars do seem to work on most dogs. Koms were just bred to do their own thing, and barking is just one of those things.

On the other hand I do use the garden hose on the dogs, as necessary. I have one of those multi patterned hose sprayer on the hose, and I set it to jet most of the time so that I get the distance with the water stream. I have been known to use it on the neighbors dog also. (He is a very bad tempered Golden Retriever) I have found that none of the dogs will bark while I can get to the hose, except for Big Dog, he doesn't care if he gets wet. Yorkies on the other hand do not like to be wet.

(He knows that he is just going to go back inside, and get even with me by laying his big hairy wet body on the sofa again.)
th.gif
(Sometimes I am sure that he is smarter than me.
barnie.gif
Good thing I am meaner than he is, and he knows that I could forget the recipe for roast beef if he keeps reminding me that he is a smarty pants.
tongue2.gif
)

I use a remote control spray collar put out by a company called Spray Commander. It doesn't shock the dog but instead blasts a puff of citronella scented air in its face. It's like a reset button for your dog. I used it on my rescue mutt to stop her from jumping on people when they show up to visit. The first time I used it on her she jumped about 3 feet straight up into the air and took off like she'd been shot. She hates it, but she also was trained in under a week to stop the behavior. It doesn't inflict any pain, but smells terrible to dogs. It also is manually controlled so you can control when the dog gets corrected. The remote control is pretty small and can be worn on a string around your neck to keep your hands free when you are working. I love it. I loved it so well that I initially rented one from my vet, but ended up just buying my own. The only downside to it is that it eats batteries like crazy if you leave it on all the time.

Back
Top Bottom