My OWN Dog

After my dog got at least 6 of my chickens over the last 6 months, I put her down. I tried the buggy whip, the electric collar and I have trained ALL of my dogs in two languages, but this dog just wasn;t getting it. I had enough. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but it broke my heart to have to do it.

What breed is your dog? Dogs with a high prey drive are harder to teach not to attack things that run, flap and squawk like the chickens do when something gets after them.
REsearch the breed history, what it was bred for, what it was meant to do and go from there. Herding dogs tend to be more protective of things while dogs bred to chase things want to kill things when they catch them. It's just part of their heritage.

Quote:
I hope there's a LOT more to this than your dog just being a DOG and killing chickens. NO DOG should die over doing what comes naturally to it by the hand of it's owner! Rehoming wasn't an option? Just because it didn't 'get it' you killed it? Wow.

To the OP: There is NOTHING wrong with having your dog tied out. As long as he has time with you or your family also, it's perfectly ok. Sled dogs spend ALL their lives tied out, but they also 'get out' everyday and they are just fine.

You can try a good electronic training collar but it does not work for older dogs usually who have an established routine and traits.

You can re-home him/take him to a shelter with full disclosure that he is a bird killer. Or you can have him put down.

Sorry to be blunt but truly those are your only options unless you can contain him which you say is difficult.

Good luck with your decision making.

The new invisable electric fences keep shocking the dog until they get back into the yard. You can make sure you chickens are on the oother side of the fence to keep your dog away from your chickens and out of your neighbors yard.

You can also add 3 strands of electric fence around the chicken coop to protect your chickens from your dog and anything else that tries to eat them.

We put in an underground fence. I know it would be an added expense for such a huge property, but it really worked wonders for our dog! She's a beagle/pointer mutt and LOVES to run, so if it can contain a hound, I think it would work for anyone!

Thanks for all the advice. First of all, rehomeing or having him put down is not an option. I do love him and he did come before the chicken adventure so I have to find a balance. I think I will try the invisible fence and weave it through the chainlink. It would be ideal to keep him in the small back fenced area so he could still come inside with us. Right now where he is out in the yard, he gets so dirty I cant have him in as long as he is out there because there is no grass just sandy dirt that he is covered in. Anyway, I am glad to hear that some people think the invisible fence around the chainlink will work. I will definitely give this a shot!

Quote:
I highly doubt that is true as a dog can outrun the range of the fence and the dog will NOT understand it. I have seen a dog go up to the fence while it "beeped" at him to warn him the shock was coming. He stood there until the battery went dead. I about fell over laughing. Talk about a smart dog. Yeah for him. LOLOL

I highly recommend electric wire at the bottom and the top. That way if he starts to dig he gets nailed. Invisable fences and electric collars you need to know how to use them properly. And not all people who install the invisable fences no how to use them correctly either.
For example..... I was working with a clients dog a few months ago and when I went to walk the dog....... she went crazy at the street. And I do mean crazy......... it took me a bit to figure it out what the problem was. I talked to another friend who trains and explained what happened. Once she explained to me how some companies will train them it was 120% obvious my friend was right. The Invisable fence people drug her up to the "line" and held her there so she got a very hard clear repremand. She was terrified to go off the property. Then the idiots were so stupid they didnt tell the owners to take the collar off when the dog left the yard. So, every time the dog left for a ride or walk it got zapped going out of the driveway..... This is a very unclear message and extremely confusing to the dog. And is not good for them psychologically.
I never recommend an electric collar if you Do Not know how to use them. You can flat ruin a dog, again psychologically if you do not know what your doing.
the hot wire will keep him where you want him so he is not bothering your animals or the neighbors.

Here is the dog I rescued 3 years ago. She came to me immaciated and with a very obsessive behaviour. She also had been deemed "vicious" by animal control. Once she was healthy my partner and I (both trainers) started working on leash manners and obediance. She did a great job and turned into a wonderful dog. Then, about 17 months ago I got chicks. It took both of us a full year of work with her, to get her to be chicken safe.
It CAN be done. As you see...........
45854_madrich610.jpeg

And I am not talking about the cocker spaniel.... The rottwieler is the dog that I am talking about here.
Two weeks ago my ladies were free ranging the back yard. Rotty went crazy charging my back window. I saw a bird in the sky but could not tell what it was but the chickens went running.......... I let my rotty and black cocker spaniel out and she charged the yard hard and was jumping in the air making a very funny noice (obsessive noice). The cocker ran to the back fence like normal, barking his head off and then pacing and looking for what the danger was. While the rottwieler continued jumping in the air at the hawk in the sky. The hawk didn't seem to think a chicken was worth the risk.
After the hawk was gone........ then she went to find her chickens. I had to pull two of them out of the bushes and the the other two came out and followed us to the back door.
She sure has turned into a great chicken dog. I trust her 110% not to bite my chickens or attack them. I do not however trust her to be chasing a squirrel and not run over one of my chickens on accident. Forturanely, the ladies move out of the way, when they hear the "thunder". I have even seen my rotty jump over 2 chickens to avoid the collision while she was after a squirrel.

Good luck to you and your dog. Always keep trying and keep learning. Knowledge is a powerfull tool.

the lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard.

Back
Top Bottom