My pallet coop- so far

85218_2011_0718binewoffoldermaggies0002.jpg

85218_2011_0718binewoffoldermaggies0003.jpg

This is how much more I got accomplished Sunday and Monday until the lightening, thunder, and rain chased me back into the house... I was hoping to avoid using the green last resort shingles, but alas, it was not to be. I was not going to buy shingles to finish this when I have perfectly good, although ugly shingles available. I figure I have another couple of hours finishing up the trim, building the window, the human door and the chicken door and I will be able to work inside of the coop and then finally get my run built and get some ladies and a gent to move in...

I going to do the same thing I'm going to build an 8 x 12 I got 26 pallets they are 50.5 x 45. got some free T111 10 sheet all I need now some plywood for the floor and roof and some paint.

There are commandments when using repurposed\
ecycled materials or BYC commandments that most of us know:

1. If its free its fer me.

2. One persons trash, is anothers treasure.

3. You dont know what you can get until you ask.

4. Keep your leftovers\\junkpile!

5. dont look a gifthorse in the mouth,just take the gift.

6. Barter,barter,barter!!

7.Use "the true cycle of life" ( chicken poo to the garden,garden leftovers to the chickens, chickens do the poo).

8. coveralls is a MUST for every backyard farmer.

9.never argue with your neighbor about noise if the power of "fresh free eggs" is in your hands.

10. Be loyal to BYC! < ----Royal Commandment.

Just wanted to say Thanks for the inspiration! Hubby and I were originally considering an A frame ark style coop but for the size of our flock it was going to be impractically big. Then we decided on the Garden Coop plans that are available online. After pricing out the materials we'd need to build it, we were left frustrated and out of luck as I'm out of work right now. Then I looked at your pallet coop and had an epiphany! We have several places local to us (from a quick craigslist search) where we can get free pallets and we've now begun planning our own recycled pallet coop. Will post pics as we get started, but just wanted to say thanks because we hadn't really thought of using pallets previously and seeing your coop was like a lightbulb being turning on.
bow.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Does it really save cost to build with pallets in this way? It seems you still have to buy plywood or something for the outer and inner walls. For $20-30 you could use 2x4s for the frame and it might be more sturdy. I love recycling and would love to build something like this if it really is cheaper but I just don't see where the big savings is.
Btw it looks wonderful so far.

Quote:
Hubby and I priced out wood to do a smaller sized coop with attached run and the frame needs alone were around $70 just in 2x4's alone, that's without plywood or roofing, or any wire to cover the thing. We're working up plans for a recycled pallet coop with attached run that will utilize the pallets as the structure/frame for the hen-house as well as the siding and interior surfacing (ripping them apart, obviously). The only other lumber we will need will be for the frame of the run, supporting the hen-house (we are doing a raised style hen-house), and the roof joists. We plan on using some lumber and other building materials we already have to eliminate huge costs. For us, every dollar saved is a good thing as I am out of work at the moment.

As far as sturdy goes, I'd say that would depend on how you built it in the first place. If you don't have decent building skills or a good construction plan it doesn't matter what you are working with, you could still end up with a rickety structure, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom